Toys"R"Us selects LeapTV™, LeapFrog's first educational, active video game system designed specifically for young children, among the most sought-after toys this yearEMERYVILLE, Calif., Sept. 24, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. (NYSE: LF), the leader in educational entertainment, today announced that LeapTV™, its brand new educational, active video game system, was identified as one of the most sought-after holiday toys this year on the prestigious Toys"R"Us'® "Fabulous 15" list. LeapTV's inclusion in the "Fabulous 15" on the Toys"R"Us 2014 Holiday Hot Toy List marks the fourth consecutive year that LeapFrog has been included on this list of the most coveted holiday toys.
"After months of traveling the world and testing hundreds of new products, our team of toy experts curated a selection of the best-of-the-best toys – the 'Fabulous 15' – including LeapTV, which we expect to top shoppers' lists as one of the must-have gifts this season," said Jamie Uitdenhowen, Vice President, General Merchandising Manager, Toys"R"Us, U.S. "LeapTV exemplifies LeapFrog's legacy of creating incredible educational entertainment experiences. There is no doubt that the innovative LeapTV system will top many children's holiday wish lists this year."
"It is a tremendous honor to be included in the 2014 Toys"R"Us 'Fabulous 15' list and to have our latest innovation, LeapTV, identified as one of the hottest items for kids this holiday season," said John Barbour, chief executive officer at LeapFrog. "LeapTV is the best first video game experience for younger children with an extensive Learning Library of world-class games and videos for kids three to eight years old. Our team of talented game designers and our full-time in-house learning experts has created an incredible learning experience that combines three ways for children to play games - classic controller, pointer play, and body motion - making it an educational video game experience that will also get them moving. If parents do not want to be left empty-handed this holiday, they should take advantage of the pre-sale as LeapTV is expected to be a sell-out this holiday."
The 2014 Toys"R"Us 'Fabulous 15' list represents the best new toy introductions of the year that are expected to be at the top of kids' wish lists for the holidays. By releasing their list in September, Toys"R"Us is able to provide parents with early shopping advice so they can be sure to get that "must-have" gift for their child. Additionally, LeapFrog will be introducing a black version of LeapTV exclusively at Toys"R"Us stores nationwide and Toysrus.com next month. The white version of the LeapTV console (MSRP $149.99) and cartridge games (MSRP $29.99) are currently available for pre-order online at Toysrus.com.
LeapTV is the first educational active video gaming system from LeapFrog that gets kids into the action while teaching a range of skills across reading, mathematics, science and problem solving. With simple and intuitive user interfaces created with first-time players in mind, LeapTV provides first time players three ways to play, motion control, pointer play, and a classic controller mode. Using LeapTV's camera, children are put right into the game seeing themselves dance, play sports and more while they experience curricular challenges along the way. Leap TV also includes a transforming gaming controller that has been specifically designed for children's small hands and limited dexterity. In its regular configuration, it enables classic gameplay, but with the simple press of a button it easily transforms into a motion controller and LED pointer controller. The LeapTV system includes console, motion-sensing camera, camera mount, transforming controller with wrist strap, HDMI cable, 16GB of memory and built-in Wi-Fi for downloading apps (sold separately).
LeapTV provides access to LeapFrog's Learning Library of more than 100 game cartridges, game downloads and videos* all designed or approved by LeapFrog's team of gaming and learning experts. Unique to LeapFrog, the Learning Team includes a full-time in-house team of five learning experts, all with PhDs in various specialties including education, child development and educational psychology. The first major title launches for LeapTV were created through a combination of great game play design and educational input from the LeapFrog Learning Team.
As part of the LeapFrog Learning Library, LeapTV's first eight major title launches feature many current kid-favorite characters as well as the very popular Tad, Leap and Lily from LeapFrog's top-selling Letter Factory Adventures animated video series.
- LeapFrog Sports (for children 4-7 years old): Become a mathematics MVP! Get up and get learning with nine exciting sports games powered by active play. Knock subtraction skills out of the park, karate-chop shapes, block goals with number-line power, swim, climb and more while competing with a friend!
- LeapFrog Kart Racing: Supercharged! (for children 4-8 years old): Put the pedal to the metal and race for victory in five tournaments driven by active play. Choose from eight wild karts and tune up pre-race using addition, subtraction, multiplication and early algebra. Then tilt and turn to blast around tracks, solo or against a friend!
- LeapFrog Dance & Learn (for children 4-7 years old): Dance, sing and move to the music in nine games that teach early reading skills. Children will love being the star of their own dance party as they appear on TV to drum out rhymes, slap together compound words, flutter like feathers and dance like dinos. Double the fun by inviting a friend!
- Disney Jake and the Never Land Pirates (for children 3-5 years old): Set sail for an action-packed pirate adventure with Jake, Cubby and Izzy! Twist and turn to navigate the sea, chop vines to cross the jungle, fly high to grab gold doubloons and use swashbuckling mathematics smarts to find the treasure.
- Pixar Pals Plus (for children 4-7 years old): Activate science and reasoning skills in six fun-filled mini-games, and unlock pieces to six challenging puzzles! Team up with Buzz and Woody to toy with simple machines, dive into ocean science with Dory and Nemo, and scare up electrifying new knowledge with Mike and Sulley.
- Disney Sofia the First: Sofia's Picnic Games (for children 3-5 years old): Join Sofia the First and train for the Tri-Kingdom games in this enchanting princess-powered adventure! Fly on Minimus, tiptoe through woodland obstacles, tilt and turn to sled down a hill and grow royal reading skills in Sofia's garden.
- Marvel Ultimate Spider-Man (for children 4-7 years old): Swing into action as Spider-Man and restore order to New York! When Doc Ock and his cohorts stir up trouble, it is up to the child to save the city. Run, jump, wall crawl, sling webs and unleash reading skills in 36 exciting stages of active, educational play.
- Bubble Guppies Fin-tastic Field Trips! (for children ages 3-5 years old): Dive into three fin-tastic field trips with Gil and Molly! Explore transportation in Big Bubble City, dig up dinosaur fossils, spring into action to clean up Puppy Park, and dive into learning about people and places, recycling, fossils and more.
Additional games, videos and apps available for download via the App Center for LeapTV.
The LeapTV system (MSRP $149.99, for children 3-8 years old) is currently available for pre-sale online. LeapTV will be available online and at major retail locations beginning mid-October. Game cartridges (MSRP $29.99) will be available online and at major retail locations beginning mid-October, and downloadable games and apps (starting at MSRP $5.00 and up) will be available via the LeapFrog App Center beginning December 2014. For more information, visit www.leapfrog.com/leaptv.
LeapFrog Enterprises, Inc. is the leader in educational entertainment for children. For nearly 20 years, LeapFrog has created award-winning learning solutions that combine educational expertise, innovative technology and a child's love for fun. With experiences that are personalized to each child's level, LeapFrog helps children achieve their potential through LeapFrog's proprietary learning tablets, learn to read and write systems, interactive learning toys and more, all designed or approved by LeapFrog's full-time in-house team of learning experts. LeapFrog's Learning Path, the ultimate guide for parents on early childhood, is designed specifically to help support and guide their child's learning with personalized ideas and feedback, fun activities and expert advice. LeapFrog is based in Emeryville, California , and was founded in 1995 by a father who revolutionized technology-based learning solutions to help his child learn how to read. Learn more at www.leapfrog.com .