New 32-bit MCUs provide scalability across product and efficiency in analog system solutions as well as reduce design time from months to minutesHOUSTON, June 19, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — Today, Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) introduced its latest devices with InstaSPIN-FOC™ (field-oriented control) and InstaSPIN-MOTION™ motor control technology. These C2000™ Piccolo™ TMS320F2805x microcontrollers (MCUs) are equipped with the InstaSPIN-FOC and MOTION technology on the read-only memory (ROM) of the chip, which helps drastically reduce development time — from months to minutes. These MCUs are optimized for a variety of three-phase sensored or sensorless motor control applications to control speed and improve efficiency, performance, and reliability of electric pumps, fans, traction drives, and more. The C2000 Piccolo F2805x MCUs also pack a number of analog components on chip to increase system efficiency and decrease the number of discrete parts required in a motor system design.
Choose from a broad range C2000 MCUs with TI InstaSPIN™ technology
With today's addition of the C2000 Piccolo F2805x MCU with InstaSPIN-FOC and MOTION, TI is now able to offer a variety of InstaSPIN solutions to best meet customer needs. Choose from the C2000 Piccolo F2802x, F2805x and F2806x MCUs, ranging from $4-12 USD that contain InstaSPIN-FOC, InstaSPIN-MOTION, InstaSPIN-MOTION with Position or a combination of those. Designers can also choose package size, number of pins, memory, clock speed, and control and communication peripherals.
"Our new Piccolo F2805x MCUs with InstaSPIN-FOC and MOTION are the most recent products showcasing TI's commitment and leadership in motor control technology over the last 20 years," said Chris Clearman, worldwide manager, motor control solutions, TI. "InstaSPIN is truly the most compelling solution in the industry for three-phase motor control, and we are continuing to invest in this technology so we can offer a broad portfolio that meets any range of customer needs."
Features and benefits of the C2000 F2805x MCUs with InstaSPIN-FOC and MOTION:
- Integrated analog control peripherals to improve system efficiency and reduce bill of materials cost, including 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), 14 enhanced pulse-width-modulation (PWM) channels with fault management, seven windowed analog comparators with 10-bit digital-to-analog converters (DACs), dual zero-pin oscillators, voltage regulator, up to four programmable gain amplifiers (PGAs) and 3 fixed-gain amplifiers, and 32-bit enhanced input capture module (eCAP) and enhanced quadrature encoder pulse (eQEP) for rotor sensor interface.
- Eliminate motion control challenges in traditional motor systems with on-chip InstaSPIN-MOTION motor control technology, which provides expertise on-chip and removes the need for inefficient, older design techniques.
- Leverage InstaSPIN-MOTION SpinTAC™ components embedded on the ROM of the C2000 F2805x MCUs to:
- IDENTIFY: Ensure optimum tracking and disturbance rejection, working with the real inertia of the system.
- CONTROL: Minimize effort and reduce complexity with single coefficient tuning. Rapidly test and tune velocity control from soft to stiff response, defining a controller gain that typically works across the entire variable speed and load range of an application. Actively estimate and cancel system disturbances in real time, providing maximum performance.
- MOVE: Produce an automatically optimized motion profile based on start velocity, target velocity and system limitations for acceleration, jerk and motion trajectory type.
- PLAN: Quickly build various states of motion (speed A to speed B) and tie them together with state-based logic.
- Achieve sensorless torque or velocity control with the FAST™ algorithm-based sensorless control, as well as InstaSPIN-FOC and InstaSPIN-MOTION projects.
- C28x CPU running at 60 MHz with embedded memory for more storage, including up to 128 KB Flash and up to 20 KB SRAM. Boot ROM and 128-bit security key on protected zones for both Flash and ROM ensure code security for entire device or mixed-source software development.
- On-chip communication interfaces, such as an SPI module, I2C bus, CAN 2.0 and three SCI/UART modules improve connectivity for real-time communications.
- Evaluate quickly and easily using the compatible C2000 F28054M controlCARD motor control library through the MotorWare™ software infrastructure, which offers the latest in C object-oriented and API-based coding techniques and lab-based projects and documentation.
- Pair with DRV8312 for a complete three-phase, brushless DC motor and motion control solution.
Pricing and availability
New C2000 Piccolo F2805x MCUs ( TMS320F28054M, 54F, 52M, 52F) are available starting at less than $6 USD per 1 ku. Piccolo TMS320F2802x and TMS320F2806x MCUs with InstaSPIN are available today, ranging from $4-12 per 1 ku. The controlCARD ( TMDSCNCD28054MISO) for the C2000 F2805x MCUs is available for $99 and is compatible with the existing DRV8301, DRV8312, and TMDSHVMTRINSPIN kits.
Innovation is at the core of TI MCUs
Beginning with the foundation of leading process technology and adding unique system architecture, intellectual property and real-world system expertise, TI continues its 20+ years of MCU innovation with low-power MSP MCUs and performance C2000™ MCUs. With unique products for ultra-low power, low-power performance and security communications, to real-time control, control and automation, and safety, designers can accelerate time to market with TI's ecosystem of tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
InstaSPIN-FOC, InstaSPIN-MOTION, InstaSPIN, C2000, Piccolo, FAST and MotorWare are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
Tara Stratton, GolinHarris, 972-341-2562
Randi Williams, Texas Instruments, 214-567-4640
Email Contact (Please do not publish these numbers or email addresses.)