First Quarter Fiscal 2014 Summary
- Revenue of $1.45 billion
- GAAP operating margin of 2.7 percent
- GAAP diluted earnings per share of $0.26
- Non-GAAP(1) operating margin of 3.4 percent
- Non-GAAP(1) diluted earnings per share of $0.41
Revenue for the first quarter was $1.45 billion, compared to $1.51 billion in the prior quarter and $1.49 billion for the same period of fiscal 2013.
GAAP operating income in the first quarter was $39.5 million or 2.7 percent of revenue, compared to $31.5 million or 2.1 percent of revenue for the same period ended December 29, 2012. GAAP net income in the first quarter was $23.1 million, compared to $621,000 for the same period a year ago. GAAP diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $0.26, compared to $0.01 in the first quarter of fiscal 2013.
Non-GAAP operating income in the first quarter was $48.6 million or 3.4 percent of revenue, compared to $41.4 million or 2.8 percent of revenue in the first quarter fiscal 2013. Non-GAAP net income in the first quarter was $35.5 million, compared to $24.2 million in the same period a year ago. Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share were $0.41, compared to $0.29 for the same period a year ago.
Balance Sheet Summary
- Ending cash and cash equivalents were $407.1 million
- Cash flow from operations was $38.2 million
- Repurchased 1.67 million common shares for a total of $25.2 million
- Inventory turns were 6.8x
- Cash cycle days were 47.3 days
"Our first quarter results were in line with our expectations. We remain focused on higher value-added services, markets and innovative technologies. This allows us to capitalize on opportunities with new and existing customers and further strengthen our operating model. Our outlook for the second quarter reflects our view of a soft first half of fiscal 2014. We are encouraged by our customers' forecasts, recent wins and overall market improvements that will drive modest growth for fiscal 2014," stated Jure Sola, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Sanmina Corporation.
Second Quarter Fiscal 2014 Outlook
The following forecast is for the second fiscal quarter ending March 29, 2014. These statements are forward-looking and actual results may differ materially.
- Revenue between $1.425 billion to $1.475 billion
- Non-GAAP diluted earnings per share between $0.36 to $0.42
Company Conference Call Information
Sanmina will hold a conference call regarding results for the first quarter fiscal year 2014 on Monday, January 27, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. ET (2:00 p.m. PT). The access numbers are: domestic 877-273-6760 and international 706-634-6605. The conference will also be broadcast live over the Internet. You can log on to the live webcast at www.sanmina.com. Additional information in the form of a slide presentation is available by logging onto Sanmina's website at www.sanmina.com. A replay of the conference call will be available for 48-hours. The access numbers are: domestic 855-859-2056 and international 404-537-3406, access code is 35531347.
(1) In the commentary set forth above and/or in the financial statements included in this earnings release, we present the following non-GAAP financial measures: operating income, operating margin, net income and diluted earnings per share. In computing each of these non-GAAP financial measures, we exclude charges or gains relating to: stock-based compensation expenses, restructuring costs (including employee severance and benefits costs and charges related to excess facilities and assets), acquisition and integration costs (consisting of costs associated with the acquisition and integration of acquired businesses into our operations), impairment charges for goodwill and other assets, amortization expense and other infrequent or unusual items (including charges associated with distressed customers, litigation settlements, gains and losses on sales of assets and redemptions of debt, discrete tax events and deferred tax changes), to the extent material or which we consider to be of a non-operational nature in the applicable period. See Schedule 1 below for more information regarding our use of non-GAAP financial measures, including the economic substance behind each exclusion, the manner in which management uses non-GAAP measures to conduct and evaluate the business, the material limitations associated with using such measures and the manner in which management compensates for such limitations. A reconciliation from GAAP to non-GAAP results is included in the financial statements contained in this release and is also available on the Investor Relations section of our website at www.sanmina.com. Sanmina provides second quarter fiscal 2014 outlookonly on a non-GAAP basis due to the inherent uncertainties associated with forecasting the timing and amount of acquisitions, restructuring activities, asset impairments and other unusual and infrequent items.
Sanmina Corporation is a leading integrated manufacturing solutions provider serving the fastest-growing segments of the global Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) market. Recognized as a technology leader, Sanmina provides end-to-end manufacturing solutions, delivering superior quality and support to OEMs primarily in the communications, defense and aerospace, industrial and semiconductor systems, medical, multimedia, computing and storage, automotive and clean technology sectors. Sanmina has facilities strategically located in key regions throughout the world. More information regarding the company is available at www.sanmina.com.
Sanmina Safe Harbor Statement
Certain statements contained in this press release, including the Company's outlook for the second quarter and its expectations regarding fiscal 2014, constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the safe harbor provisions of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Actual results could differ materially from those projected in these statements as a result of a number of factors, including changes to or a deterioration in the markets for the Company's customers' products; competition that could adversely impact the Company's pricing and therefore result in a reduction of revenues and margins; dependence on a relatively small number of customers, the loss of or reduction in business from any of which could significantly reduce our revenue and net income; inability of customers to pay for the Company's products due to insolvency or otherwise; any failure of the Company's Components, Products and Services business to meet expectations; component shortages, which could result in production delays or increases in manufacturing costs; and the other factors set forth in the Company's annual and quarterly reports filed with the Securities Exchange Commission ("SEC").