MCADCafe
   >> CAD Interoperability
Thread views: 79446 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

joshsparrow81
(Stranger )
01/05/07 07:44 AM
Converting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCAD 2005 new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I was wondering if someone could help me. A co-worker creates a drawing in Adobe Illustrator and then converts it to AutoCAD, cleans it up in AutoCAD and then sends me the AutoCAD file where I open it up in AutoCAD 2005 LT. The drawing comes in fine but randomly when I move my cursor over the design and text it freezes my AutoCAD and gives me a Not Responding prompt but does not go away or catch up and I have to close down AutoCAD and then reopen it again. He uses AutoCAD 2004 LT. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out wy his drawings crash my AutoCAD program. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

tomlehn
(Stranger )
01/08/07 06:40 AM
Re: Converting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCAD 2005 new [re: joshsparrow81]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Well , maybe this will help. We do this with IronCAD but you may get the same results. When exporting from illustrator remove any color fills on geometry, this somethings "blocks" import.
Hope it helps
Tom

joshsparrow81
(Stranger )
01/08/07 07:22 AM
Re: Converting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCAD 2 new [re: tomlehn]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I appreciate your help. When I get the drawings from him the do not have any hatching or color fill in the drawing. All the drawing contains are various outlines. Nothing is filled in. There are several layers of different colored lines defining outline and a Tol. line and several more. Do think if he removed all layers except for the black outline it would help?

tomlehn
(Stranger )
01/08/07 07:48 AM
Re: Converting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCAD 2 new [re: joshsparrow81]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I don't think that would matter, however my school of thought is try everything at leaset once.

Another thought is maybe his geometry consists of some bsplines that AutoCAD doesn't like. Maybe if he's up to it maybe he can convert it to more "true" geometry such as arcs, lines, etc.

Also, try DXF over DWG format, that sometimes helps to "cure" some of the bad data in the origianl file.

joshsparrow81
(Stranger )
01/08/07 11:21 AM
Re: Converting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCAD 2 new [re: tomlehn]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thank you, I appreciate your help. I will try the things you mentioned and see if it works. If anyone else has anything they want to share that would be greatly appreciated.

patcad
(Stranger )
01/11/07 07:28 AM
Re: Converting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCAD 2 new [re: joshsparrow81]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Well I don't have the answer...
I do have the same problem.
My work around is to make sure running Osnaps are OFF.
That is where it locks up, when the cursor moves over an area and tries to indicate a snap. I believe this has been discussed on the Autodesk web site discussion groups.

Edited by patcad on 01/11/07 07:32 AM.

animating1
(Stranger )
01/13/07 08:12 AM
Re: Converting from Adobe Illustrator to AutoCAD 2005 [re: joshsparrow81]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Ok, here is the deal, I have to do this all the time and in the beginning it frustrated me to no end. Autocad though vector based is not able to handle true b-splies. Though they import and you can see them fine, they list out as splines, etc. they are still a proxy object. Rolling over them with autosnaps on will send your computer into brinlock every time. It will usally come back out of it but it takes so long you stop caring, and in the meantime your processor(s) are maxed.

The solution is to export the file to a DXF file ver. 12 or below. The reason is that prior to Autocad 13, the spline objects were defined as line segments instread of splines. The problem is that Illustrator only exports to ver 13 as I recall so I'm not sure how you can do this other than exporting the file out of autocad to a ver 12 file. I use Coreldraw 12 which has a direct export to ver 11 and it has worked flawlessly since I first found all this out.

Hope this helps

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

SolidCAM: Program your CNCs directly inside your existing CAD system.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy Advertise