>> MCAD User News and Reviews
Thread views: 341558 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
(Stranger )
01/26/07 02:37 PM
Re: Does CAD/CAM Technology Diminish Quality of Li new [re: dwurmfeld]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

In general we have put much too much stock in our CAD technologies. It is interesting to scan the help wanted adds in some of the trade rags. It’s very common to see that knowledge in a particular CAD system is so significant to us that it finds its place in the add. I guess that is due to the fact that it is sooo difficult to learn and such a big investment. Sounds like the CAD systems are driving us – rather than supporting us. My son is a first year engineering student. One of the classes that he took was called “Engineering Design 1”. What a joke. He spent much of the semester learning Pro/E. He did very well in the class, but is he going to be better engineer for this? Not a chance. When did good CAD skill = good designer / engineer?

(Stranger )
01/27/07 08:23 AM
Re: Does CAD/CAM Technology Diminish Quality of Li new [re: phamil1]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

When did good CAD skill = good designer / engineer?

When they eliminated detail drawings.

(Stranger )
01/30/07 12:44 PM
Re: Does CAD/CAM Technology Diminish Quality of Li new [re: phamil1]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

CAD and CAM are tools and nothing more. The main problem is that people are expecting computers to be shortcuts in doing there work, or looking for software to do there job for them. If you’re an engineer that doesn’t know how to design then all the tools in the world won’t help. I say get off your butts and do your jobs right in the first place.

Jeff Walters

(Stranger )
02/13/07 08:32 AM
Re: Does CAD/CAM Technology Diminish Quality of Li new [re: TheCamMan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Where should I begin? First of all I am a young engineer who was taught both paper drawings and 3D modeling (Pro-E) in my engineering program. And I will be the first one to admit that I rely on 3D modeling as my primary design tool. The ability to see a true geometric representation of your design before your product is built is an incredible advantage that we have today. As far as mentoring goes, I also believe that this skill is being under utilized in today's workplace. I was assigned as the primary production engineer on a multi million-dollar government project with less than two years of experience, which is not how quality engineering should be done. I also agree that today design engineer's should not come directly from the college classroom. I myself spent time as a production supervisor and then as a production engineer before I ever held and engineering design position. Which brings up the question of weather it is the Universities fault for not instilling the importance in the entire engineering design cycle or the company’s fault for believing that you can take a green engineer and give him the title of design engineer?

Now a direct reply to the author. If I understand this correct you are complaining that you now have to actually work an entire month each month instead of getting one week every month to do whatever you please. What did you do "back then" when you only had to do 3-week worth of work to do in one month? Engineering/Design is not an easy job. I am sure that everyone who has responded to this post will agree to that statement. If it is getting to hard for you get out and choose a different profession!! You are compensated more than fairly for what you do for a living. Anyone who disagrees with that statement is just plain spoiled. My grandfather (Also a design engineer) grew up in a poor home and had to work for everything he ever got. I also unfortunately grew up in a poor home and had to work for everything that I have achieved (serving in the military and scholarships is the only way I was able to go to school). It sounds to me like you believe that something is entitled to you. I will give you a little lesson that nothing is. There is no degree or experience that automatically gives anyone the right to an easy life. (that last statement is for all of the ivy league grads) I am tired of everyone complaining about outsourcing and foreign manufacturing taking jobs from hard working American workers. It sounds to me like a schoolboy complaining about the bully taking his lunch money. What would you grandfather say to you about that situation? Mine would tell me to stand up for myself. The world has changed you are going to have to compete with not only your neighbor across the road but also your fellow engineer in Bangalore (I hope that everyone who reads this post knows where Bangalore is).

In summary be thankful that you are able to earn a nice living for your family. Neither 3D modeling nor 2D drafting is the real problem. You are having difficulty dealing with the new work environment that exists on the global stage. This stage is not going away. More is going to be asked from you in the future. You have choices. For example, you can give into the changes and adapt. Realize that you are going to have to work harder in order to stay competitive or you can get out. Maybe I have an advantage all I know is global competition. I am prepared for the inevitable effects that the global market will have on my life and will adapt when the situation presents itself. Because that is what the professional workers from now on will have to be. Adapters.

Rock Chopper
02/27/07 09:27 AM
Effects of The Technological Boom new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

There are many interesting observations here. First, does CAD make our lives worse? No, I don't think that is the case. I think most users will agree there are so many things we can do in short order that is very time consuming to do on paper. The CAD systems today have made my job easier.
The overall observation here is about technology and how it has diminished our quality of life. I feel that technology has improved our lives in most ways. The problems begin with how we choose to incorporate the technology into our daily lives.
Cell phones are a common example. What a great invention. Your loved ones can get a hold of you if plans have changed or when they get in a bad situation. People can get important messages to you when you are away from your desk or home. You can get the latest updates from the office on a situation that just arose as you were travelling. The flow of information is quicker and easier.
Now let's take a look at the problems that come up with abuse of this technology. Increased risk of automobile accidents. Kids playing on their phones while in the classroom. Constant disruptions of ringing phones and people picking them up in meetings, movie theatres, in check-out lines, holding everyone else up.
***These aren't problems caused by cell phones themselves but by how we choose to use them. In the end it's still our choice on how each of these technologies should be used.
Let's take a look at it from a different perspective, more inline with the original article. The demand for technology and the constant innovation behind it has increased it's pace dramatically in the past 20 years. It has caused a reaction that begins with us and ends up with us.
People have come to expect immediate gratification. They want the technology now. When they order something to be delivered they expect it in a few days not the traditional 4-8 weeks that we were accustomed to when ordering that sea monkey kit out of the back of a magazine. If it's not available right now, they will go somewhere else to get it or whine and cry because they have to wait.
Companies are trying to respond to this and bank on it by being the first to offer the products in demand. This constant demand and the desire to be the first to market or the fear of lost opportunity is a big driver for many companies who have chosen to be technological leaders. This in turn has dramatically decreased the time between concept to market. In turn pressure is on to find faster ways of developing these products, utilizing all of the tools we can.
***Now, with this in mind, do you believe the time you save using CAD tools makes up for all of the development time lost because of decreased time-to-market initiatives?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

TurboCAD pro : Start at $299

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy Advertise