MCADCafe
   >> MCAD User News and Reviews
Thread views: 6528 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Unregistered)
05/04/10 04:00 AM
Autodesk Launches Easy-to-Use, Low-Cost Drawing Software Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Autodesk Launches Easy-to-Use, Low-Cost Drawing Software

Use this link to read the full article

Tony Eeds
(Unregistered)
05/04/10 04:00 AM
Design and Drafting are NOT Commodities new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am a self employed architect, so I will likely view this product in a different manner than some here.
Although Autodesk is simply responding to the growth of lower end CAD systems, it saddens me to see the growth of commodity products such as Freestyle.
I talked yesterday with a friend who is the economic development director of a small town. He called to tell me that the client he was working to move his business to town said he will complete his design work himself. The guy is buying two downtown buildings and combining them to make his retail and fabrication space. I can only imagine that the gentleman "designer" in question doesn't know the ins and outs of building code, accessibility, structure, et al, but he is going to "design" his space. *sigh* For the record, he is in the woodwork business, which had complicated fire code related requirements. I wished William luck with the guy.
There is far more to design than putting lines on paper. I have said many time over the years that CAD is not drafting, it only allows you to draw bad faster.
Commodity products grow in market share specifically because designers have insulated themselves from the process and distanced themselves from end user clients. How many times have we heard clients make statements along those lines?
Now, I am not saying that the fellow mentioned above is going to use a commodity CAD product, but he clearly is a potential purchaser of a system that will allow him to "generate quick, accurate and professional-looking designs without the need for or learning curve of industrial-strength CAD software".
Note that there is nothing in the quoted statement about knowing the quirks in the dimensions of building materials, layout dimensions for accessibility, access, etc.
I wish Autodesk luck with their commodity product, meanwhile I, and others like me, question why I pay a lot of money for my Autodesk subscription, and they want to save money at their end by making me download the software.

slaptopsreview
(Stranger )
03/08/11 03:03 AM
Re: Autodesk Launches Easy-to-Use, Low-Cost Drawing Software new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

hey u have a shared a great post....

i liked it...

thanks for sharing.....

thanks.....

toshiba laptop reviews

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy Advertise