>> MCAD User News and Reviews
Thread views: 30728 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

01/04/06 06:37 AM
Where do YOU fit? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Where do YOU fit?

Use this link to read the full article

Tom L
01/04/06 06:37 AM
'Where do YOU fit?' new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Excellent Article Paul. This breakdown really shows how the USA will ultimately will loose its "Super Power" status to China and Europe if it hasn't already. See, both China sn European companies realize that in order to progress financially and competitively you MUST BE a Pioneer or at the very least an Early Adopter. Whereas the majority of US companies are Wary Majority, Also Ran Candidates, and I f a may had the Sheep (just follow others leads redardless of their own needs). SO you can rant about how China is talking all the jobs away etc.. but before you put all the blame on China, you better you at your companies "status" first. This will give you a great insight why more engineers are on the unemployment line and not the golf course. Tom L

01/10/06 06:19 AM
not so fast new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You overlook another compelling reason behind software use & acquisition of new software, corporate personality notwithstanding: legacy data and interoperability. No matter how much one desires to be the Pioneer or Early Adopter, some choices must be made based on what you need to bring along. It has nothing to do with "admitting that their decision to choose that product was wrong", as you claim for the Wary Majority. I can't see anyone with legacy data getting anywhere near ROI in month ten & dumping the software. What's your IT time's impact on ROI then? It's not always worth the fight of being first when you end up having to be not only the beta testers but the alpha testers of the software while still trying to get work done. Many have decided that it's a much less traumatic transition to wait for a couple of releases before joining in. Yes, we need the Pioneers and Early Adopters, but they won't & can't always be the same people/companies all the time. Some get burned, or burned out, and gladly join the ranks of Wary Majority or Late Comers.

01/12/06 01:42 PM
Re: Where do YOU fit? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

iconnian, I hear you. There pops up the interop issue again. If I had a dime for every time I hear the interop reason ... well you get the picture. The fact is interop is NOT the show-stopper that the Wary group often cites as a reason for not switching. Interop and legacy data are purely business issues and can be easily managed with some creativity. If the software you are switching to can make a real difference to your product development schedule, legacy data should NOT even be considered a factor. For all the blustery talk, most companies do not need to migrate all their data to the new system. They only have to convert just what they need, when they need it. With low-cost resources aplenty, this NON-CORE work must be shipped out and you must get on with figuring out how to use the new software to make your product development nimble. Alas, this needs cojones.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Colortrac: LearnMore
TurboCAD pro : Start at $299

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy Advertise