MCADCafe
   >> MCAD User News and Reviews
Thread views: 6276 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Unregistered)
08/04/09 01:13 AM
Open Source An Alternative CAD Source? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Open Source An Alternative CAD Source?

Use this link to read the full article

Gary B
(Unregistered)
08/04/09 01:13 AM
Nice introduction new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Nice introduction for those who have never come across open-source software before, although I bet everyone in the engineering community has actually used it whether they know it or not.
A lot of the really heavy-hitting open source stuff started life as a code donation from a big company (e.g. OpenOffice, Eclipse IDE, Netscape) which was then taken and improved beyond recognition. I think it will take a code donation from PTC, Dassault or someone to kickstart a really plausible open CAD project. Say CADDS5 or Catia V4?
I did come across this open source PLM solution which seems to be quite competent if the movie and screenshots are anything to go by. I can't install it here because we prefer to pay lots of money for a proprietary solution ( that seems to be a mostly R&D product ).
http://www.aras.com/solutions/

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

SolidCAM: Program your CNCs directly inside your existing CAD system.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy Advertise