>> MCAD User News and Reviews
Thread views: 31463 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

11/10/05 03:46 AM
Want to Stop Outsourcing? Become a CFO Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Want to Stop Outsourcing? Become a CFO

Use this link to read the full article

Tom L
11/10/05 10:47 PM
Want to Stop Outsourcing? Become a CFO new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Although I feel Paul's passion for this topic as I'm sure we all do. I have a little problem swallowing the "salesman" approach. Although it IS the job of every good engineer to design with budgets and profits in mind, I personally do not think it should be the engineers goal. The problem I feel is making the engineer worry about penny pinching every little aspect of the project will ultimately result in a low-grade and possibly downright poor quality product. Thats not to say can we substtitute a $1.50 bolt with a $0.25 Bolt, of course and that it is part of an engineers job descrition - Engineer products for qaulity, innovation (key -word here) and within budgets. Engineers NEED to be allowed to explore innovative concepts and approaches without the concern for money (relatively) and in todays climate, more an more companies demand innovation as part of its every day processes, which in the past was allowed as concurrent off-line projects. My take, make the engineer count the pennies (which is the CFO's job) and you ultimately reduce the quality and innovativeness of the companies product line which in turn possibly lead to the down-fall of the company. Having the opportunity to be an engineer and a salesman. I can definitely tell you that these are two very distinct professions (that require extreme training for both) on opposites sides of the magnet. If money crunching becomes the norm for future engineers then a new profession has be born..the "Salesineer" where colleges will have to add Salesmanship to the Engineering curriculum.

11/11/05 02:06 AM
Innovation -- not scrimping. new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I think "Tom L" missed an important point about halfway through the article. (Perhaps it should have been emphasized more...) Engineers (and I are one) really need to be thinking more about making NEW money for the company than SLASHING old money. Making a big splash in your company about "savings" you created often has interesting negative effects... Although you can get some initial credit for savings, it effectively raises the bar (or lowers it, depending on your perspective) and makes achieving results harder next time. All too often, it creates oppressive work conditions and introduces unrealistic constraints to future designs, as well. ...and of course, you only get credit for those savings the FIRST time. Any subsequent projects (even if they continue to benefit from your cost cutting) will be measured against the new benchmark anyway. On top of that, "savings" are generally small potatoes when compared to "new markets". No... Innovation is the key. The creativity in finding new applications and new markets for your products is one thing that will get you out of the "commodity" column in your CFO's eyes. Every engineer who values his employment should be thinking about these things. Is this harder than pinching pennies? You bet. Is it worth it? You tell me. :-)

02/20/06 09:29 AM
Get Rich with Penny Stocks. new [re: ]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Buy penny stocks before they are hyped up, heavily
promoted and go up to high prices. Get in on penny stocks before they go up in
price. Get the names of penny stocks before they are hyped

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Colortrac: LearnMore
TurboCAD pro : Free Trial

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy Advertise