MCADCafe
   >> Design for Manufacturability (DFM)
Thread views: 61937 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
MCAD Editor
(Stranger )
10/01/01 02:44 PM
DFM Issues and Challenges new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Is design for manufacturability (DFM) supported within your organization? If so, how and what are the benefits/challenges? If not, do you feel that manufacturability issues need to play a bigger role in product design and development efforts at your company?

NCguy
(Stranger )
11/28/01 09:36 AM
Re: DFM Issues and Challenges new [re: MCAD Editor]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

We pay lip service to DFM, and in my capacity as CNC programmer in the prototype shop, I try to address DFM issues as they come up in the parts I am asked to make. Most of the designers are receptive to my suggestions, but frequently there are design requirements which make DFM difficult to implement. I think a big problem is that few engineers and even fewer marketing professionals have much experience in an actual hands on manufacturing environment. We have development project managers who have no clue what it takes to machine a part.

subras3d
(Stranger )
03/06/07 03:21 AM
Re: DFM Issues and Challenges new [re: MCAD Editor]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

DFM Issues still perists due to less expertise available with the present CAD Engineers who are not well equiped with skills on allied fields like Manufacture and Physical Product Development Recently I have given a Level 1 Training for DFM here for the CAD Engineers I am on the job of developing a Level 2 for them

Ultimate is ONLY CONCURRENT ENGINEERING

tomlehn
(Stranger )
03/08/07 06:26 AM
Re: DFM Issues and Challenges [re: subras3d]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It used to play a major role in all our designs, however in the past several years it is no longer a strong requirement for many clients. There are two main reasons for abandoning DFM (reluctantly).
1. 99.9% of most of the manufacturing for the majority of our clients are accomplished overseas. Almost anything that previously thought impossible to manufacture is now possible for various reasons including technology, manpower, and cost of goods. This is a topic in itself.
and
2. "We" as engineers have typically cursed Industrial designers for designing products that are virtually impossible to manufacture. However its these same ID's that in fact present challenges that normally would not be addressed and therefore in essesnce actually drive innovation. Lets face it, if engineers are not pushed to come up with solutions to complex situations, we would all be living to candlelight.

shridhar
(Stranger )
05/02/07 08:41 PM

In our organization the DFM is the part of any ongoing Design & Development process. In the entire development phase of product realization, we have many iteration (cycles) of design & proto builds. The execution of the protobuild is carried out by NPI (New Product Introduction) team along with the manufacturing or process counterparts. The primary objective being to validate the existing design & to make the product ease of manufacturing. As the product approaches the Volume production there will be tremendous pressure on output & to meet the cycle time for each individual process. The manufacturing team will look into the bottleneck in each of the process & work on designing fixtures to improve cycle time or on breaking up the processes in different stations to balance the production line. The early feedback of DFM inputs to the Design team will help them to improve the final design concept keeping the design intent intact, which in turn helps in reduction of number of iterations & hence the time to Market.

subras3d
(Stranger )
05/17/07 11:29 AM
Re: DFM Issues and Challenges new [re: shridhar]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Dear Friends
I was fortunate enough to contribute to a Staff Development Programme on Design For Manufacture & Assembly under the sponsorship of All India Council of Technical Education - AICTE -hosted by the Amrita University , Coimbatore , Tamil Nadu - India - 12 DAY WORKSHOP
Infact I conduted the workshop for about four hours on '
DFM for CAD Engineers ' there I have presented Three levels of DFM for CAD Engineers in that August Forum attended from all over india with case histories for my Level -1 , DFM & Concurrent Product Eevelopemnt of a novel Rotary Tablet Press and gave a curtain raiser OF my
' SUBRAS SMART DFM '
a new practical methodology I am on the job now for developing the DFM Methodology by Designing and Developing a novel Light Duty Three Wheeler by adopting my Level -2 which will ultimately lead to be a live case history for my pragmatic Methodology on DFM -
' SUBRAS SMART DFM '
Pl visit http://subrassmartdfm.blogspot.com/
I welcome contributing partners to further develop my
DFM - Design For Manufacturability - for our mutual benefits

Er Ramalingam K S
subras3d@yahoo.co.uk

bhaskar
(Stranger )
01/21/10 05:21 AM

To address the issues related to DFM at the design stage, by the designers, Geometric has comeup with a CAD integrated (SolidWorks and ProE) DFM tool : DFMPro (http://dfmpro.geometricglobal.com). It identifies areas of a design which are difficult, expensive or impossible to manufacture. 

subras3d
(Stranger )
08/02/10 08:38 AM
Re: DFM Issues and Challenges new [re: bhaskar]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello Bhaskar

Yes I have also noted the recent developments on DFM -integration with CAD .

Thanks for the inputs from your side

slaptopsreview
(Stranger )
03/18/11 03:22 AM
Re: DFM Issues and Challenges new [re: bhaskar]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

DFM Principles

1 )Do not use min rules when not necessary
– Find best compromise between all recommendations
– Pay specific attention to repetitive cells
( i.e., lot of instances per product like standard cells and some sub-circuits in
memories …)
– Take care of critical signals
(noise, timings, matching …)
– Most of the gain comes out from small improvements
2 )Target homogeneous density for each layer
3)And for all of these, do not increase chip or cell area

gaming laptop reviews

kaaren
(Stranger )
04/14/11 04:04 AM

You ask a lot of questions. I haven't answers on them. But you can use help coursework. This service can help to do this.  

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)
View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation GISCafe - Geographical Information Services TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy Advertise