"MatrixOne brings key assets to DS: an innovative and knowledgeable global team, and powerful business process technology that will accelerate our ability to serve our customers with the most comprehensive collaborative PLM solution on the marketplace," said Bernard Charles, president and CEO, Dassault Systemes. "The merger broadens our industry coverage, particularly in the high-tech, semiconductor, apparel and consumer goods areas, where unique PLM requirements and complex business issues demand focused, world-class solutions. DS is pleased to welcome the MatrixOne employees, customers and partners into the DS family."
Today's companies need to create, produce and rapidly deliver products successfully in increasingly demanding markets, accelerating the adoption of PLM. This trend demonstrates the competitive advantage gained from innovative collaborative business processes, which can result in faster time-to-market and improvements in top-line revenue and bottom-line profitability. The acquisition of MatrixOne reinforces DS' ability to address the needs of this large PLM market, building on its almost 9,000 current successful customer implementations in collaborative PDM software and services.
The new PLM Collaborative Environment portfolio, which will take the ENOVIA brand name, will address customers' requirements across the full spectrum of product and business processes, from small-scale teams to extended enterprises with many thousands of users. ENOVIA offers a new level of collaboration, from the most simple to highly engineered complex products and is now poised to address a broad range of industry needs:
- ENOVIA VPLM - 3D Collaborative Virtual Product Lifecycle Management of highly complex product, resource and manufacturing processes in medium and large extended enterprises
- ENOVIA MatrixOne - Collaborative Product Development business processes for enterprises across a wide range of industries, including Synchronicity for Semiconductor Design Data Management
- ENOVIA SmarTeam - Collaborative Product Data Management for small and mid-sized enterprises, engineering departments of larger organizations, and across supply chains.
"The acquisition of MatrixOne by Dassault Systemes is really a good opportunity to improve our consulting and services business on Dassault Systemes' technology by extending the coverage of the PLM value chain," said Rory Read, Managing Partner, Global Industrial Sector, IBM Global Business Services. "We will be able to leverage both our strong existing partnership with DS and our experience of MatrixOne projects. This acquisition brings additional value to the Dassault Systemes portfolio, particularly for our clients in the electronic industry. DS will be ideally positioned to offer a comprehensive range of PLM software to this industry."
"We are delighted with Dassault Systemes' acquisition of MatrixOne," said Patrick McGoldrick, CEO, Tata Technologies Group. "Tata and MatrixOne have delivered world-class PLM solutions for many years. The Merger allows us to deliver significant value via the solution strengths of MatrixOne and the global system integration capabilities of INCAT, the Tata PLM Brand."
"Capgemini is looking forward to expanding our existing MatrixOne relationship into the Dassault Systemes ecosystem to provide stronger collaborative PLM solutions to an expanded customer base," noted Ed Stark, vice-president, Capgemini LLC.
With this announcement, the consolidation of the PLM industry through acquisition marches on - another case of one heavy hitter absorbing another - MatrixOne now becomes ENOVIA MatrixOne. MatrixOne is a complex and comprehensive platform or environment for collaborative PLM that is now part and parcel of another complex and comprehensive entity, Dassault's ENOVIA. There seems to be a bit of duplication involved with the acquisition, but there also seems to be enough distinction that it makes sense, at least at this stage. It also seems as though the acquisition was made more for purposes of market segment expansion than pure technology, but I could certainly be proven wrong there.
Since its inception, Dassault's ENOVIA has attempted to integrate virtual product modeling, lifecycle management, and decision support for companies that manufacture complex products. The ENOVIA products are intended to help companies developing large engineering-intensive products to manage the product lifecycle in a unified environment. In theory, all parties involved with a product's lifecycle can access, share, and manage product information.
MatrixOne has also been billed as a collaborative PLM environment that consists of three main components:
- Matrix PLM Platform that serves as the backbone for the Matrix environment and is the underlying engine for Matrix10's PLM business process applications, modeling capabilities, and third-party system integrations discussed below.
- Business Process/Lifecycle Applications that are interoperable for the roles involved in product planning, product development, product sourcing, manufacturing, and compliance.
- Enterprise Integrations that provide data sharing between Matrix and third-party enterprise MCAD, EDA, and ERP applications.
The Week's Top 5At MCADCafé we track many things, including the stories that have attracted the most interest from our subscribers. Below are the five news items that were the most viewed during last week.
Arena Solutions Announces Q1 2006 Financial Results
Arena Solutions announced that its first fiscal quarter of 2006 was the most successful in the company's history. This milestone represents an average quarter-over-quarter growth of 40%. Delivered as a secure, web-based Internet service, Arena PLM reduces the cost and complexity to deploy PLM. In addition, Arena PLM features an AJAX-based user interface. By lowering the barriers to adoption and providing a simpler, yet powerful customer experience, Arena Solutions allows small- to mid-size manufacturers to more effectively compete with their larger counterparts.
UGS' Teamcenter Receives SAP Certification
UGS Corp. announced the "SAP Certified Integration" designation has been added to the latest release of its Teamcenter Gateway solution. UGS partner TESIS PLMware, the developer of Teamcenter Gateway, received SAP certification for the software that links Teamcenter to mySAP Business Suite solution, one of the manufacturing industry's most widely used solutions for enterprise resource management (ERP). The collaborative link between Teamcenter PLM and mySAP ERP was developed on SAP Netweaver which is the integration platform for Independent Software Vendors (ISV) to integrate their applications.
Corel DESIGNER Professional 12 Introduced
Corel Corp. introduced Corel DESIGNER Professional 12. Built on Corel DESIGNER Technical Suite 12, Corel DESIGNER Professional 12 offers native 3D-import capabilities from Spatial Corp. to support leading CAD/CAM packages including IGES, Pro/ENGINEER, SAT, CATIA 4, and CATIA 5. Corel DESIGNER Professional 12 provides a workflow for technical illustrators who need to import 3D CAD files for creating 2D vector and bitmap drawings. The suite also delivers the extensive file compatibility with more than 75 import and export filters including CGM, PDF, EPS, JPG, TIF, and SVG. In addition to the new 3D-import capabilities, the suite includes Corel DESIGNER 12 for precise technical illustration and layout; Corel PHOTO-PAINT 12 for professional image editing; CorelTRACE 12 to convert bitmaps and legacy paper documents into vector graphics; and Corel CAPTURE 12 to create screen captures, an integral component of many technical documents.
MEDUSA4 Personal Now Available On Linux
CAD Schroer Group (CSG), announced that its free personal use version of its MEDUSA4 CAD software is now available on Linux. MEDUSA4 Personal for Linux offers the full functionality available in the MEDUSA4 Advanced Parametrics package, including basic 3D (sheet-based modeling), parametrics, and all of MEDUSA's drafting tools and functionality, such as SMART Edit ("parametrics on demand"), advanced Design Objects, hidden line removal, and drilling table tolerancing. MEDUSA4 Personal is expressly restricted to non-commercial use. Small technical differences from the commercial version include a different sheet format, watermarked print output, and the ability to import from, but not export to DXF/DWG format. Also, the commercial version is customizable, while MEDUSA4 Personal is not.
SolidWorks Corporation Welcomes Sheet Metal Guy, LLC as Solution Partner
Sheet Metal Guy, LLC announced that it has been accepted as a Solution Partner by SolidWorks Corp. "SolidWorks for the Sheet Metal Guy" is a new series of self-paced training books that allows users to learn the design process of SolidWorks sheet metal part creation step-by-step. Written in terms sheet metal people know and understand by sheet metal professionals with over 30 years of experience in the sheet metal and CAD/CAM industries, emphasis is on creating real parts with manufacturing in mind, taking advantage of parametrics to ensure that any changes will not invalidate design integrity.
Jeffrey Rowe is the editor and publisher of MCADCafé and MCAD Weekly Review. He can be reached here or 408.850.9230.
This WeekLead Story
- Missler Software and WFL: A Powerful CAM Solution for Complex Millturn Machines
- INCAT Launches Realize Solutions For PLM
- Alibre Makes Global Push to Accelerate Growth With First Worldwide Internet Promotion
- MachineWorks Acquired By Management
- BOWE BELL + HOWELL Accelerates System Design With SolidWorks
- Bluebeam Software Launches Bluebeam Conversion Server v 2.0
- MD Nastran Achieves New Leading Performance Benchmark
- UGS Announces New Teamcenter Reporting and Analytics Software Offering to Support Decision-Making and Control of PLM Processes
- Rohm Expands Implementation Of UGS Solid Edge
- UGS Reports Q1 Revenue
- Tata Consultancy Services Joins UGS Partner Program As A System Integrator
- i.get.it Now Features AutoCAD And Autodesk Inventor Courses
- Peguform Expands Use Of Tecnomatix
- Invention Machine, Open Text To Integrate Products
- New rapidformXO Redesign Creates Fully Parametric Solids & Freeform Surfaces From 3D Scan Data
- i.get.it Desktop Announced At PLM World
- Metris Releases The XC50-LS Cross Scanner For Flexible Feature Inspection
- FlightSafety International Selects 3DTransVidia/SW For CATIA Translation
- ALGOR V19.1 Supports 64-Bit HP-UX for All Analysis Types
- Blue Ridge Numerics Releases CFdesign v8.0 For PTC Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0
- Surfware Now Shipping SURFCAM Velocity II
- 3D Systems Announces Conditional Call For Stock Redemption
- Autoweb Announces Gold Foundation Partnership With UGS
- Metris Launches the WheelTracker G2, the Next-Generation Wheel Motion Measurement System
- ALGOR Showcases V19.1 at Atlantic Design & Manufacturing 2006
- ICAM And DMG Sign Strategic Marketing Agreement
- KUKA Robotics To Provide Robots For Casting Total Work Cell
- Immersion Corp. Reports Q1 2006 Financial Results
- CD-adapco's STAR-Works Provides Quick Payoff To VIASYS Healthcare
- Metris Launches the LK Libero, Raising the Performance Standard for a New Generation of Bridge CMMs
- Rising Adoption By SMBs Fuels PTC Channel Growth
- Metris Camio Studio 4.3 Expands it Capability to Include Manufacturing Information
- Cincom Manufacturing Conference Showcases Leading Industry Experts
- Pathtrace To Show New 5-Axis Machining Strategies
- Boeing Concludes New Round of Wind-Tunnel Tests for 747-8 Family
- Managing Automation Introduces The Managing Automation Manufacturing Council
- Southco Selects SAP to Enable Lean Manufacturing Strategy
- Avcorp Signs Components Contract With Boeing
- Mittal Steel Named General Motors' Global Supplier Of The Year
- Gentex Honored By GM As A Supplier Of The Year
- Gain Insight Into How Chinese Computer Case Makers Are Improving Their R&D Capabilities
- Aero Testing Alliance A Major Step Toward European Aerospace Research Facilities Integration
- Johnson Controls Named As A GM Supplier Of The Year
- LMI Aerospace Announces Sales and Earnings For Q1 2006
- Delphi Helps Cut Refueling Costs
- First Functioning Organism Simulated
- Sensics And The University Of Michigan Partner To Host Virtual Reality Event
- Autodesk Keith Davidson To Chair Session On Outsourcing And Offshoring At SIIA Software Strategy Summit
- UGS To Host Q1 2006 Earnings Webcast/Teleconference
- Keynote Speakers Confirmed for Fatigue 2007
- PTC Webcast Explains Top Strategies, Best Practices, And Proven Solutions
- Pathtrace to Demonstrate EdgeCAM at Mori-Seiki Innovation Days
- Mori Seiki Invites ESPRIT CAM To Its Innovation Days
- Avatech Solutions Q3 2006 Financial Results Conference Call