|Category||2002 (Est Sales and Service)||2003 Forecast|
|PLM Market||$7.49 billion
(down 5% from 2001)
(up 5% from 2002)
|Mechanical CAD/CAM||$4.37 billion
(down 10% from 2001)
(up 3% from 2002)
|Virtual Prototyping + Simulation||$1.53 billion
(up 1% from 2001)
(up 7% from 2002)
|Systems Performance Modeling||$794 million
(up 8% from 2001)
(up 9% from 2002)
|Structural Analysis||$725 million
(down 6% from 2001)
(up 6% from 2002)
It may represent only a subset of the product lifecycle management (PLM) sector, but in the increasingly important area of virtual prototyping and simulation, the growth opportunities are significant, with analysts estimating an average annual growth rate of 11.5% over the next five years to reach nearly $2.5 billion in 2007. In particular, systems performance modeling (defined as the segment of the digital prototyping and simulation market that includes solvers plus pre-and post-processors for CFD, crash, dynamics and motion, forging and mold design, durability and fatigue, heat transfer and thermal interactions, NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness), and control systems design, as well as analysis optimization, process modeling and results visualization) will enjoy vigorous growth of 14% annually over the next five years, topping $1.4 billion in 2007, according to Daratech, the Cambridge, MA-based market research and technology assessment firm.
Factors driving growth in this breakout segment of the digital prototyping (CAE) market include: the pressures on manufacturers to spend less on product development and shorten time-to-market by reducing physical prototype counts. According to Daratech, also spurring investment in digital prototyping is the rapidly improving price/performance of high-performance computers, together with better-quality deployment, implementation and training, as well as growing user and management confidence in simulation accuracy and correlation with physical test results.
The bottom line? There's "money to be made and money to be saved" using the latest virtual prototyping and simulation tools, particularly with respect to bridging the worlds of physical and virtual test. In this area, the companies to watch include: MSC Software (which acquired market leader, Mechanical Dynamics, Inc. last year), LMS International, ESI Group, ANSYS Corp., MTS Systems Corporation, Fluent, Altair Engineering, and CFX (recently acquired by ANSYS Corp.) as well as the leading CAD/CAM, CAE PLM providers - IBM/Dassault Systemes, EDS-PLM Solutions, and PTC.
Interested in learning more? Mark your calendars for the upcoming conference, daratechiDPS2003-- Intelligent Digital Prototyping Strategies, currently scheduled for June 9-10, 2003 in Novi, MI.
Another valuable source of information about this topic is the online resource, SmartSim Community, launched by MTS Systems Corporation, Mechanical Dynamics Inc. (MDI) and nCode International. Created in response to the automotive industry's demand for accelerated vehicle performance evaluation, the SmartSim Community was established by its founders to research and develop effective methods for sharing and using engineering data through integrated physical and virtual prototyping.
Comments? Feedback? Email Contact to tell us what you think about this topic or if you have additional information you'd like to share on this subject!
Amy Rowell is the managing editor of MCADCafe, and the editor of MCAD Weekly Review.
p.s. This week, March 3-6th, 2003 MCADCafe will be attending the National Design and Engineering Show (NDES), in Chicago. So stay tuned for important industry announcements and product news, as well as additional coverage and conference highlights.
- ANSYS Completes Acquisition of CFX [26 Feb 2003]
- Autodesk Reports Fourth Quarter Results [25 Feb 2003]
- CIMData PLM Conference: "Unleashing the Value of Your Intellectual Assets" Set for June 23-25, 2003 [25 Feb 2003]
- EDS Announces New Solutions Strategy for Flagship Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Teamcenter(R) Portfolio [25 Feb 2003]
- HP Reports 1st Quarter 2003 Results [25 Feb 2003]
- Renault F1 Team and 3D Systems Launch Advanced Digital Manufacturing Center [24 Feb 2003]
- SAP Improves Sourcing Strategies, Reduces Process Costs, and Compresses Cycle Times in Growing Number of Global Companies [26 Feb 2003]
- Systems Performance Modeling Leads Digital Prototyping Market Growth According to Daratech [27 Feb 2003]
- Transform 3D Designs into Life-Like Images with New Version of SolidWorks PhotoWorks [24 Feb 2003]
- VX Simplifies Computer-Aided Manufacturing With Unique New Graphical Interface [27 Feb 2003]
- Cimatron Reports Improved Fourth Quarter Results; Positive Net Income in Q4 and Year End 2002 [26 Feb 2003]
- Documentum Delivers eRoom Enterprise [24 Feb 2003]
- EdgeCAM 7.5 Shows its Metal [25 Feb 2003]
- EdgeCAM Endorsed for Autodesk Inventor 6 [25 Feb 2003]
- EDS PLM Solutions Extends its Edge in Managed Design Collaboration with Solid Edge Insight.NET Version 14 [24 Feb 2003]
- Engineous Software and HP Host Online Course To Help Improve Design for Six Sigma Strategies [24 Feb 2003]
- Fakespace Systems Teams with Xi Graphics to Expand Availability of Linux-Based Immersive Visualization [25 Feb 2003]
- Framework Technologies Announces Strategic Partnership with Integral, Inc. [24 Feb 2003]
- GiveMePower Ends Free CAD Promotion with Release of New $99 PowerCAD LT+; More Than 100,000 Existing Users Offered Special Upgrade Pricing [26 Feb 2003]
- IronCAD Takes a Two Handed Approach Towards Higher Productivity Thanks to 3Dconnexion [27 Feb 2003]
- Javelin Named Top SolidWorks. Reseller in Canada [27 Feb 2003]
- Latest release of D-Cubed's CDM [24 Feb 2003]
- Rhino/DeskProto Software Bundle for Designers Now Available [27 Feb 2003]
- Scalable RPC Software Provides Cost-Effective Automotive Component Simulation [24 Feb 2003]
- User-Defined Features Expands FeatureCAM Technology and Ease of Use [27 Feb 2003]
- Altair Engineering to Present Three Technical Papers At SAE 2003 World Congress [26 Feb 2003]
- Call For Papers - TCT 2003 Deadline: March 21, 2003 [27 Feb 2003]
- Documentum to Host Online Seminar on eRoom Enterprise [24 Feb 2003]
- Gibbs to Demonstrate Innovative 2.5D Solids-Based Machining at NDES [25 Feb 2003]
- Glance at RapidForm2003 in NDES 2003. INUS Technology will preview RapidForm2003 at the National Design Engineering Show, booth 6407 at McCormick Place South in Chicago March 3-6. [24 Feb 2003]
- Resinate Featured in Autodesk Inventor Software Booth Demonstrations at National Design Engineering Show and Conference [26 Feb 2003]
- Spatial Announces Annual 3D Insiders' Summit; Spatial's users' conference, sponsored by AMD and Simmetrix, provides wide access to Spatial developers and executives [24 Feb 2003]
- Dassault Systemes Teams with the University of Durham and Oregon State University on PLM Awareness Project [25 Feb 2003]
- Design Firm, WATG, Selects Bluebeam Pushbutton PDF to Create PDF Drawings [25 Feb 2003]
- EDS PLM Software and Services Selected as Corporate Standard by Europe's 'Total' Supplier of Automation Systems for the Global Automotive Industry [25 Feb 2003]
- Forgecast Adopts Virtual Product Development Software and Services From MSC.Software to Drive Forging Process Design [25 Feb 2003]
- Informative Graphics' Brava! ProjectWeb Selected by LoadSpring Solutions for Real-Time Collaboration View, Markup, File Management Functions [27 Feb 2003]
- Leading Aerospace Corporation Snecma Chooses LMS Optimus for Engine Development [27 Feb 2003]
- Rockwell Collins Chooses FroTools for Paperless Initiative at its Kaiser Electro-Optics Business [25 Feb 2003]
- Xylatec Selects EDS Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Software as Corporate Standard [21 Feb 2003]
[ more Recommended Reading]
National Manufacturing Week, 3-6 March 2003, Chicago, IL
SAE 2003 World Congress 3-6 March 2003, Cobo Center, Detroit, Michigan, USA
Six Sigma in the Design Process 10-13 March 2003. This online course illustrates how to use Design for Six Sigma strategies, and how companies can enhance the performance and quality of their products. Offered in two online sessions. Attendees choose: Session 1 - March 10 or 11, Session 2 - March 12 or 13.
VirtualMCAD Conference and Exhibit 2003, 14 - 16, October 2003. Register Now! You won't want to miss out on this FREE online MCAD conference and tradeshow sponsored by MCADCafe!
Westec '03, 24-27 March 2003, Los Angeles, CA
COE Spring 2003 Conference & TechniFair, 30 March - 2 April 2003, New Orleans, LA
Fuel Cell Vehicles: The Road to Commercialization TOPTEC April 8-9, 2003, Ritz Carlton, Dearborn, MI. This two-day TOPTEC will discuss the industry, government, and customer perspectives on the status and continuing R&D for the commercialization of fuel cell powered automobiles. (Note: TOPTECs are one- to three-day TOPical, TEChnical symposiums, workshops, or forums that focus on emerging technologies, new applications to emerging technologies, or other expanded technical subjects.)
2003 PLM Vendor Forum -- 10 April 2003, Detroit, MI. Sponsored by CIMdata, this forum is designed to provide critical market and business information to technology and service suppliers of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) solutions.
"Inside Design Now" 22 April - 3 August 2003, The Smithsonian Institution's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York City. This exhibit is a critical overview of leading developments in contemporary American architecture and design over the last three years. On view will be the works of 80 designers and firms with over 300 objects, models, photographs, films and renderings. For information call 212.849.8400 or visit www.si.edu/ndm.
PLM World '03, 28 April - 2 May, Anaheim, CA. PLM World, an open forum for users of EDS Unigraphics, Metaphase, I-DEAS and iMAN software, is a non-profit group intended to promote the exchange of ideas concerning the EDS product environment.
Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing: Advanced Product Development Solutions Conference and Exposition, 12 - 15 May, 2003, Hyatt Regency, Chicago. Sponsored by the Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago. For more information: phone: 800.733.4763; website: www.sme.org/rapid
COFES2003: 4th Annual Congress on the Future of Engineering Software, 15-18 May 2003, Scottdale, AZ
2003 PLM Vendor Forum -- 21 May 2003, Paris, France. Sponsored by CIMdata, this forum is designed to provide critical market and business information to technology and service suppliers of Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) solutions.
daratechiDPS2003-- Intelligent Digital Prototyping Strategies June 9 - 10, 2003. Novi, Michigan. daratechiDPS2003 will update product development and engineering executives on the changing role of digital prototyping and simulation, explore how industry leaders are managing the tradeoffs between physical test and measurement and digital prototyping, and identify the business and technical case for investing in these technologies and processes.
2003 International Forum on DFMA June 17-18, 2003. Newport, RI. Sponsored by Boothroyd Dewhurst, Inc. The International Forum on DFMA (Design for Manufacture and Assembly) is the foremost conference worldwide on early design analysis methodologies and implementation. Conference papers will discuss specific product development programs and examine cost reductions and efficiency gains at some of the world's leading manufacturing companies, such as Raytheon, Hewlett-Packard Company, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, and Visteon Corporation, among others.
CIMdata PLM Conference June 23-25, 2003. Detroit, MI. "Unleashing the Value of Your Intellectual Assets." At PLMconference2003, attendees will be provided with a total view of the PLM picture including an industry vision, available opportunities, strategies for solution selection and implementation, roadmaps to move forward, pitfalls to avoid, and direction to help maximize the value and benefits of their investment.
[ more Events]