|Category||2002 (Est Sales and Service)||2003 Forecast|
|PLM Market||$7.49 billion
(down 5% from 2001)
(up 5% from 2002)
|Mechanical CAD/CAM||$4.37 billion
(down 10% from 2001)
(up 3% from 2002)
|Virtual Prototyping + Simulation||$1.53 billion
(up 1% from 2001)
(up 7% from 2002)
|Systems Performance Modeling||$794 million
(up 8% from 2001)
(up 9% from 2002)
|Structural Analysis||$725 million
(down 6% from 2001)
(up 6% from 2002)
It may represent only a subset of the product lifecycle management (PLM) sector, but in the increasingly important area of virtual prototyping and simulation, the growth opportunities are significant, with analysts estimating an average annual growth rate of 11.5% over the next five years to reach nearly $2.5 billion in 2007. In particular, systems performance modeling (defined as the segment of the digital prototyping and simulation market that includes solvers plus pre-and post-processors for CFD, crash, dynamics and motion, forging and mold design, durability and fatigue, heat transfer and thermal interactions, NVH (noise, vibration, and harshness), and control systems design, as well as analysis optimization, process modeling and results visualization) will enjoy vigorous growth of 14% annually over the next five years, topping $1.4 billion in 2007, according to Daratech, the Cambridge, MA-based market research and technology assessment firm.
Factors driving growth in this breakout segment of the digital prototyping (CAE) market include: the pressures on manufacturers to spend less on product development and shorten time-to-market by reducing physical prototype counts. According to Daratech, also spurring investment in digital prototyping is the rapidly improving price/performance of high-performance computers, together with better-quality deployment, implementation and training, as well as growing user and management confidence in simulation accuracy and correlation with physical test results.
The bottom line? There's "money to be made and money to be saved" using the latest virtual prototyping and simulation tools, particularly with respect to bridging the worlds of physical and virtual test. In this area, the companies to watch include: MSC Software (which acquired market leader, Mechanical Dynamics, Inc. last year), LMS International, ESI Group, ANSYS Corp., MTS Systems Corporation, Fluent, Altair Engineering, and CFX (recently acquired by ANSYS Corp.) as well as the leading CAD/CAM, CAE PLM providers - IBM/Dassault Systemes, EDS-PLM Solutions, and PTC.
Interested in learning more? Mark your calendars for the upcoming conference, daratechiDPS2003-- Intelligent Digital Prototyping Strategies, currently scheduled for June 9-10, 2003 in Novi, MI.
Another valuable source of information about this topic is the online resource, SmartSim Community, launched by MTS Systems Corporation, Mechanical Dynamics Inc. (MDI) and nCode International. Created in response to the automotive industry's demand for accelerated vehicle performance evaluation, the SmartSim Community was established by its founders to research and develop effective methods for sharing and using engineering data through integrated physical and virtual prototyping.
Comments? Feedback? Email Contact to tell us what you think about this topic or if you have additional information you'd like to share on this subject!
Amy Rowell is the managing editor of MCADCafe, and the editor of MCAD Weekly Review.
p.s. This week, March 3-6th, 2003 MCADCafe will be attending the National Design and Engineering Show (NDES), in Chicago. So stay tuned for important industry announcements and product news, as well as additional coverage and conference highlights.
- ANSYS Completes Acquisition of CFX [26 Feb 2003]
- Autodesk Reports Fourth Quarter Results [25 Feb 2003]
- CIMData PLM Conference: "Unleashing the Value of Your Intellectual Assets" Set for June 23-25, 2003 [25 Feb 2003]
- EDS Announces New Solutions Strategy for Flagship Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Teamcenter(R) Portfolio [25 Feb 2003]
- HP Reports 1st Quarter 2003 Results [25 Feb 2003]
- Renault F1 Team and 3D Systems Launch Advanced Digital Manufacturing Center [24 Feb 2003]
- SAP Improves Sourcing Strategies, Reduces Process Costs, and Compresses Cycle Times in Growing Number of Global Companies [26 Feb 2003]
- Systems Performance Modeling Leads Digital Prototyping Market Growth According to Daratech [27 Feb 2003]
- Transform 3D Designs into Life-Like Images with New Version of SolidWorks PhotoWorks [24 Feb 2003]
- VX Simplifies Computer-Aided Manufacturing With Unique New Graphical Interface [27 Feb 2003]
- Cimatron Reports Improved Fourth Quarter Results; Positive Net Income in Q4 and Year End 2002 [26 Feb 2003]
- Documentum Delivers eRoom Enterprise [24 Feb 2003]
- EdgeCAM 7.5 Shows its Metal [25 Feb 2003]
- EdgeCAM Endorsed for Autodesk Inventor 6 [25 Feb 2003]
- EDS PLM Solutions Extends its Edge in Managed Design Collaboration with Solid Edge Insight.NET Version 14 [24 Feb 2003]
- Engineous Software and HP Host Online Course To Help Improve Design for Six Sigma Strategies [24 Feb 2003]
- Fakespace Systems Teams with Xi Graphics to Expand Availability of Linux-Based Immersive Visualization [25 Feb 2003]
- Framework Technologies Announces Strategic Partnership with Integral, Inc. [24 Feb 2003]
- GiveMePower Ends Free CAD Promotion with Release of New $99 PowerCAD LT+; More Than 100,000 Existing Users Offered Special Upgrade Pricing [26 Feb 2003]
- IronCAD Takes a Two Handed Approach Towards Higher Productivity Thanks to 3Dconnexion [27 Feb 2003]
- Javelin Named Top SolidWorks. Reseller in Canada [27 Feb 2003]
- Latest release of D-Cubed's CDM [24 Feb 2003]
- Rhino/DeskProto Software Bundle for Designers Now Available [27 Feb 2003]
- Scalable RPC Software Provides Cost-Effective Automotive Component Simulation [24 Feb 2003]
- User-Defined Features Expands FeatureCAM Technology and Ease of Use [27 Feb 2003]
- Altair Engineering to Present Three Technical Papers At SAE 2003 World Congress [26 Feb 2003]
- Call For Papers - TCT 2003 Deadline: March 21, 2003 [27 Feb 2003]
- Documentum to Host Online Seminar on eRoom Enterprise [24 Feb 2003]
- Gibbs to Demonstrate Innovative 2.5D Solids-Based Machining at NDES [25 Feb 2003]
- Glance at RapidForm2003 in NDES 2003. INUS Technology will preview RapidForm2003 at the National Design Engineering Show, booth 6407 at McCormick Place South in Chicago March 3-6. [24 Feb 2003]
- Resinate Featured in Autodesk Inventor Software Booth Demonstrations at National Design Engineering Show and Conference [26 Feb 2003]
- Spatial Announces Annual 3D Insiders' Summit; Spatial's users' conference, sponsored by AMD and Simmetrix, provides wide access to Spatial developers and executives [24 Feb 2003]
- Dassault Systemes Teams with the University of Durham and Oregon State University on PLM Awareness Project [25 Feb 2003]
- Design Firm, WATG, Selects Bluebeam Pushbutton PDF to Create PDF Drawings [25 Feb 2003]
- EDS PLM Software and Services Selected as Corporate Standard by Europe's 'Total' Supplier of Automation Systems for the Global Automotive Industry [25 Feb 2003]
- Forgecast Adopts Virtual Product Development Software and Services From MSC.Software to Drive Forging Process Design [25 Feb 2003]
- Informative Graphics' Brava! ProjectWeb Selected by LoadSpring Solutions for Real-Time Collaboration View, Markup, File Management Functions [27 Feb 2003]
- Leading Aerospace Corporation Snecma Chooses LMS Optimus for Engine Development [27 Feb 2003]
- Rockwell Collins Chooses FroTools for Paperless Initiative at its Kaiser Electro-Optics Business [25 Feb 2003]
- Xylatec Selects EDS Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) Software as Corporate Standard [21 Feb 2003]