With over 130 years experience in heavy engineering, Somers Forge, West Midlands, UK is one of the leading open die forge masters in Europe, working in a variety of materials ranging from carbon steel through to super alloys and specialised nonferrous alloys.
February 2, 2011 - Somers Forge satisfies a wide range of requirements for world industry using its comprehensive in-house facilities, including marine, power, oil, defence and aerospace and are exploring more avenues such as mould & die machining.
Somers Forge was looking for an easy to use, reliable CAM software package suitable for shop floor programming, that was compatible with SolidWorks® software and their DEPO machine tools.
Since introducing CNC machines with NCG CAM, Somers Forge has had some jobs reduced from 300 hours to just under 30 hours!!
Other benefits Somers Forge has seen are:
- Allows drilling & milling on the same machine tool and by using the 3+2 eliminates further operations on parts.
- NCG CAM is simple to program at the machine tool, allowing users to open the model and create the program in minimal time.
- Ease of use and reliability of NCG CAM means users are confident running lights out machining, saving valuable time.
- Easily able to diversify the type of work that they offer from forgings to mould tools.
- Able to dedicate one machine tool to roughing and carry on with other operations on the other machine, such as rest roughing, 3+2 axis and trimming back to stock models, so utilising both machines to their maximum capacity.
- Drilling is very good for drilling multiple holes; it takes just a few mouse clicks to drill 500 holes.
- Easy to drill multiple holes that have different depths, but the same diameter, using just one command.
- When drilling using 3+2 axis, do not need to worry about the angle of the hole, as NCG CAM always finds the correct place.
"Somers Forge has established an international reputation for successfully combining the very best technology, such as NCG CAM, with traditional quality skills.” says Stephen Abbott, CNC Supervisor at Somers Forge.
About NCG CAM St andalone 3D HSM CAM Software
NCG CAM HSM CAM software is an easy to use stand-alone CAM system that integrates with existing CAD and CAM systems.
NCG CAM boasts many innovative features. It is suitable for all types of forms, creating an optimised, smooth cutter motion for 3D HSM machining, while helping to extend tool life, minimising wear on the machine tool and producing parts with excellent surface finish.
NCG CAM has a very user-friendly interface, with a typical learning curve of just 1 day is required to machine a live job. It is perfect for the high-speed machining of moulds, dies, prototypes and precision surface machining.
- Very user friendly interface – making it suitable for even occasional users
- NCG CAM offers many advanced 3D machining routines, rest roughing & 3 + 2 capabilities for all toolpaths, simultaneous 5-axis add-on module available
- Fast and efficient roughing strategies, including core roughing
- Advanced drilling routines – includes automatic hole detection and / or user defined holes
- All machining routines are fully gouge protected for both the cutter and the tool holder
- Rest area option for finishing strategies to minimise any air cutting
- Available as both 32-bit & 64-bit versions
– Stand alone CAM software that is compatible with ANY other CAD package
– Extremely easy to use with just 1 day's training required to machine a live job
– Ideal for shop-floor programming
– All post-processors are written in-house
– Powerful 3D machining
– Toolpaths optimised for HSM machining
- Increased efficiency
- Reduced wear on machine
- Extended tooling life
– Saves time and money!
A demonstration version of the NCG CAM software, is available to download - http://www.ncgcam.com/demorequest.html . The demonstration version of NCG CAM has unlimited usage and while there are restrictions to the machining output, it can also be used in its basic form as a FREE .iges viewer.
Video clips of NCG CAM in action can be viewed here - http://www.youtube.com/user/NCGCAMSolutionsLtd .
About NCG CAM Solutions Ltd
Established in Cambridge, UK, NCG CAM Solutions Ltd provides CAM software solutions, offering all the tools needed to manufacture prototypes, models, moulds, dies, patterns and finished products. Our specialist area is 3D HSM CAM with our product NCG CAM.
All of our staff have a wealth of CAM experience, having worked in the CADCAM and engineering industry for many, many years. This includes our support team who have actually worked on the shop-floor using CAM software on live jobs, so are able to provide an excellent back up and support service for the software.
Since establishing in June 2009, NCG CAM Solutions Ltd have a rapidly growing global reseller base, with resellers for NCG CAM in UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Benelux, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary, Czech Republic, Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, Poland, Turkey, Greece, Middle East, India, Russia, China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, South Africa, Canada and across USA.
To contact a reseller or to download the demonstration version of NCG CAM, visit www.ncgcam.com . Alternatively contact Estelle Dunsmuir for more information – Email Contact or call +44 (0)1223 863911 / +44 (0)1353 699840.
About Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp.
Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp., a Dassault Systèmes S.A. subsidiary, is a world leader in 3D solutions that help millions of engineers and designers succeed through innovation. Our products deliver an intuitive experience in product design, simulation, publishing, data management, and environmental impact assessment. For the latest news, information, or an online demonstration, visit our Web site ( www.solidworks.com) or call 1-800-693-9000 (outside of North America, call +1-978-371-5000).