- Cuts Electrical Use by 600k kWh Compared to 2007 -
TOKYO — (BUSINESS WIRE) — August 16, 2010 — OKI Data Corporation, an OKI Group company specializing in printer business today announced that its European Manufacturing Facility, OKI (UK) Ltd., has reduced its use of electricity by roughly 600k kWh, an amount equivalent to 17% of the electricity consumed in 2007. This achievement is based on an array of efforts, including lighting and air-conditioning optimization and server integration. The power savings achieved are equivalent to 315 tons in CO2 emissions.
"In 2008, we established an environmental strategy that called for cutting CO2 emissions generated from all OKI Data activities 6% by FY2012, relative to the figure for FY2007," said Harushige Sugimoto, President of OKI Data Corporation. "OKI (UK) Ltd., which we established in 1987, moved to a new purpose-built facility in November 2005. We took advantage of this opportunity to transform the environmental performance of the facility. The key area for reducing environmental impact was electricity: The new facility uses 2.8 million fewer kWh annually than the previous facility. I am pleased with the efforts at the new facility, and the facility has continued to work to achieve further cuts in electricity usage in various ways, including shortened operating hours, enhanced efficiency, and optimized lighting and air-conditioning."
OKI (UK) Ltd. took various measures to reduce electricity use.
- The facility installed master switches for the production hall that make it possible to turn off lights and air-conditioning simultaneously. It divided the lighting in the production and warehouse area into zones, allowing small areas of the production floor to be lit only when needed. This helped reduce warehouse lighting requirements by 25%.
- The facility integrated its server functions, halving the number of servers required.
- Using inverters, the facility reduced fan speeds in the air conditioning units for the production hall.
- The facility installed refrigerator devices that control temperature based on food temperature, not air temperature.
OKI (UK) Ltd. established OKI Woodland in Cumbria, UK, in 2008 where OKI Data launched its carbon offsetting program. OKI Data plans to push forward with further environmental efforts to tackle climate change.
About Oki Data Corporation
Oki Data Corporation specializes in the design, development, manufacture, and marketing of business printing solutions that empower organizations to communicate more effectively. A subsidiary of Tokyo-based OKI Electric Industry Co. Ltd. (established in 1881 as Japan's first telecommunications manufacturer), OKI Data Corporation fields representatives in 120 countries to offer innovative, leading-edge products and services worldwide. For more information, please visit http://www.oki.com
OKI Electric Industry Co., Ltd.
Sonomi Kitamura, +81-3-5403-1247
Public Relations Division