RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., April 2, 2003 - Raindrop Geomagic has shipped more than 2,000 packages of its new Geomagic Studio 5 reverse engineering software and Geomagic Qualify 5 computer-aided inspection (CAI) software in the two months since the products were released.
Geomagic software processes scan data from a physical part to generate highly accurate polygon and parametric surface models. It enables manufacturers to move easily between the physical part or mold and its digital model, resulting in greater speed, accuracy and reliability.
Geomagic Studio 5 provides greater performance, increased automation and customization, and new functionality in the following areas:
* Improved handling of ordered data and large data sets for greater performance.
* Saving and loading matrices that enable recording and reloading of known camera locations.
* Improved global registration with greater accuracy and speed.
* Full datum support for precision polygon alignment and editing.
* Ability to sculpt polygon models with regional deformation.
* New features for rapid prototyping, tooling and manufacturing.
Surface shaping tools
* An Auto Surface function that converts polygon models to NURBS patches in one step.
* Drawing tools for creating and editing patch layouts.
* A customizable graphical interface with drag and drop toolbars, right-mouse menus that can be edited, and color themes that can be designed by the user.
* A COM interface for creating custom programs in Visual Basic, C, C++ or Java to access Geomagic Studio functionality.
Geomagic Qualify 5 contains the most significant improvements in Raindrop Geomagic's CAI software since its inception in 2001. It now offers critical features requested by many automotive and mold-makers, such as datum- and feature-based alignment, sheet-metal inspection, spring-back analysis, 3D dimensioning, and geometric dimensioning and tolerance (GD&T) reporting. Geomagic Qualify 5 works effectively with both dense data from non-contact scanners and critical points from CMM output.
Major new additions include the following:
* Support of features (hole, slot, square hole, rectangular hole) that enable feature-based alignment, direct feature comparison and reporting, and sheet-metal part dimensioning.
* 3D dimensioning that uses features and datums for measurement; this is especially useful for sheet metal and other parts that cannot be cross-sectioned. Standard GD&T symbols and reports are used whenever applicable.
* CMM data-handling functions that improve result representations and annotation for lower-density point clouds.
* The same new GUI/interface enhancements as in Geomagic Studio 5.
"The new features and improved functionality in Geomagic Studio and Qualify are a direct result of input from our customers, who are using our products to establish an interactive feedback loop among CAD, CAM, CAE and CAI systems," says Ping Fu, Raindrop Geomagic's president and CEO. "The feedback enables closed-loop manufacturing. CAD/CAM/CAE is designed to start with a virtual model and end with a physical product. Geomagic software starts with a physical model, automatically generates a virtual model, then provides interaction between physical and digital at every step in the product development process."
Geomagic Studio is used by manufacturers worldwide for mass production of customized devices, build-to-order manufacturing, and automatic re-creation of legacy parts. Geomagic Qualify enables instant graphical comparisons between CAD models and as-built parts for first-article inspection, tool validation, wear analysis, object alignment, geometric dimensioning and tolerance analysis, and reporting.
About Raindrop Geomagic
Raindrop Geomagic (
www.geomagic.com) provides software that enables closed-loop processes for reverse engineering, mass customization and quality assurance. In addition to industry-leading products, the company offers technology and process consulting, custom software development for specific industries, systems integration, and specialized interfaces to Geomagic Studio software. Manufacturers worldwide - including Toyota, Harley-Davidson, Fisher-Price, Align and many others - turn to Raindrop Geomagic to provide the technology for customizing products, automating processes, and increasing throughput.
Bob Cramblitt, Kathleen Wheatley
Cramblitt & Company