The latest release of the Jobshop advanced production planning and control software includes additional functionality, along with a new name and significant step forward by moving to a ‘relational database’ platform in the form of MS SQL.
Jobshop General Manager Paul Holmes (pictured) says: “Several years ago the collective name for sub-contract manufacturers was a Jobshop. But nowadays these same companies are hi-tech, sophisticated manufacturing businesses, so the term ‘Jobshop’ no longer accurately reflects what our customers do or indeed what we actually provide for them in terms of our software.” While the Jobshop brand remains, the new release of its software will be now called Javelin. And with the name change comes a switch from the use of the Pervasive database to Microsoft’s SQL.
So why the change? Paul Holmes explains: “There are several advantages to utilising MS SQL. This Platform allows better integration with other software. It will also provide for speed improvements within the “thinking” programs like MRP and Scheduling. It should prove more scalable and operate more efficiently with larger user accounts. Data access is expected to be easier and other ‘tools’ such as MS Query and Excel can be used. Data structure changes would also be easier in MS SQL as opposed to Pervasive, allowing for more cost effective development. MS SQL is also often available as a free download or rolled into the MS server operating systems”.
Javelin 2011 R1 contains several major new functions, including:
• ISO Approved Part Control. This switchable option locks down critical Part, BOM and Routing information, preventing unauthorised changes. When changes are made, a complete history of what, when and by whom, is generated automatically.
• Project Log. Users can register queries against specific programs in a central file, which are monitored, and responses are added, building into a FAQ library for future users.
• Javelin’s own Wiki. Javelin has its own version of a Wiki – a central deposit for user knowledge. Filed against the specific program, procedural information can be accessed “online.”
• Serial Number Generation. Serial numbers are now automatically added in sequence, and can be prefixed with any combination of characters. Existing numbers are skipped automatically, allowing the same range to be generated over a number of receipts.
• Partial GRN Inspection. With Javelin, waiting for Goods Inwards Inspection is a thing of the past. The redesigned screen allows the GRN qty to be split into rejects, good items and items awaiting inspection, meaning that good items can be stored and used as soon as they have cleared inspection, instead of having to wait for the balance.
There are also a number of other new functions, several of which have been specifically requested by users.
“All new customers to Jobshop are automatically taking the latest version - Javelin, and a number of existing Jobshop users are already changing over to it”. Those customers preferring to remain with their Pervasive systems can do so and Jobshop will be maintaining a limited development programme into 2012. “After that period we will fully focus development on MS SQL, while continuing to support Pervasive for the foreseeable future” says Paul Holmes.
NEW PAYMENT OPTIONS
As well as the standard purchase option, Jobshop has been offering its customers the opportunity to Rent three user licenses, which has now been extended to ten with Javelin 2011 R1. From next year customers can also pay for their software and support services on a monthly subscription model.
“Having three options: purchasing outright, renting, and a new subscription model, means there will be a solution to meet all company budgets and preferred method of payment. Each option covers all aspects of accessing production planning and control, with full implementation, support, training and upgrade programme” says Paul Holmes.
About Javelin and Jobshop
Javelin is a flexible, scalable and intelligent production planning and control system from Jobshop, offering advanced functionality and value in the key areas of manufacturing and assembly. Javelin allows SME organisations to successfully compete in difficult economic and market conditions, through direct productivity improvements and lower IT infrastructure costs.
Javelin supports direct interfaces to the best of breed accounts packages, protecting investment in existing systems and can be easily be integrated with new peripheral systems.
For further information visit www.jobshop.planit.com
For more information, contact:Stewart Bint, PR & Communications Officer Tel: 01233 506100 Ext 6526 Email: email@example.com