- To help developers quickly and easily design data models for the Oracle® Database, Oracle today introduced the Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler.
- This comprehensive, standalone tool supports logical, relational, multi-dimensional and data type modeling while featuring multi-layered design and generation capabilities to produce conceptual entity relationship diagrams (ERDs) and transform them to relational models. Users can build, extend and modify a model as well as compare with existing designs.
- Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler is generally available today and is downloadable from the Oracle Technology Network (OTN).
Delivering Comprehensive Capabilities to Ease Data Model Development
- Data models are powerful communication aids that are used when initiating projects and consolidating or updating existing projects.
- Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler delivers a spectrum of data and database modeling capabilities spanning:
- Visual entity relationship modeling - Supports both Barker and Bachman notations so developers can switch between models to suit the audience's needs or create and save different visual displays;
- Forward engineering ERDs to relational models - Transforms all rules and decisions made at the conceptual level to the relational model, where details are further refined and updated;
- Separate relational and physical models - Enables developers to develop a single relational model for different database versions or different databases such as Oracle Database, IBM DB2 V7 and V8 for Linux, UNIX and Windows and OS/390 mainframe, and Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and 2005; and,
- Full spectrum of physical database definitions - Supports physical definitions such as partitions, roles, and tablespaces for specific database versions for multi-database, multi-vendor support leading to improved developer consistency and productivity.
- The new tool integrates seamlessly with Oracle SQL Developer - Oracle's popular graphical tool for database development - to let developers open and view previously developed designs as well as query, run and write reports against the reporting repository.
- Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler is available for all editions of Oracle Database 11g and runs on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. The tool is also available for Oracle Database 10g.
"Every successful application starts with a strong data model," said Mike Hichwa, vice president of Software Development, Oracle. "Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler not only provides a graphical way to develop data models, but an effective way to communicate existing data models to application developers."
"There are many data modeling tools available to the development community," said Maggie Tompkins, Civilian Marine with the United States Marine Corps, and long-standing member of Oracle Development Tools User Group (ODTUG). "The idea is to select one that does data models plus adds value to your products or organization. We've been using the early adopter release of Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler, and have found it feature rich and easy to use. Having taught data modeling to others for many years, most class time is spent learning a tool. It's just the opposite with Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler. It's so intuitive to use that we can focus class time on the actual data model, its content and meaning, and not the 'how to' of the tool."
Download a free, evaluation version of Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Contacts: Eloy Ontiveros Oracle 1.650.607.6458 Email Contact Kristin Reeves Blanc & Otus for Oracle 1.415.856.5145 Email Contact