Tolland, CT – Mastercam X2 Mill introduces significant new capabilities including many 3D toolpath additions and enhancements, added support for SolidWorks® assembly files, Z-oscillation, and much more.
High Speed Toolpaths
- Mastercam X2 introduces Radial and Spiral finishing toolpath styles rounding out the high speed suite.
- Rest Material functionality (initially implemented for the Rest Roughing toolpath in Mastercam X) has been added to high speed finishing toolpaths, except in Horizontal Area. Remaining stock can be calculated from a roughing tool, another operation, all operations, or from an STL file. This allows the Rest Material to be calculated using a variety of toolpath strategies, for maximum usefulness.
- Rib Cuts have been added to the Surface Finish Flowline, Surface Rough Flowline, and 5-Axis Flowline toolpaths. The rib cuts are determined by a number of slice cuts perpendicular to the flowline curves of the surface. When you choose the cut direction, the software will slice the flowline curves and create a toolpath at the midpoints of each slice. This is very useful when a single pass is desired along multiple surfaces.
- “Peel Milling” delivers powerful high speed cutting to 2D projects, moving the tool in and “peeling” away material, layer by layer.
Trochoidal motion in high speed toolpaths assists with the machining of harder materials. Trochoidal motion maintains an acceptable tool load by allowing predictable tool contact with the material. This optimizes tool wear and reliability. Mastercam gives you the ability to control when and how the trochoidal motion occurs in a toolpath.
SolidWorks Assembly Files
Mastercam now has the capability to bring in whole SolidWorks assembly files into Mastercam. Prior to this, Mastercam could only import individual part files. Now, Mastercam can import SolidWorks .DLDASM files, which are files that reference other part files in the overall assembly.
Additional Milling Enhancements
- Z-Oscillation contouring has been added to minimize tool wear. Z Oscillation is especially useful when cutting thinner materials or laminated materials.
- A scallop height calculator has been added as an additional method for automatically entering stepover values.
- Support for SolidEdge® V19, AutoCAD® 2007, and SolidWorks 2007.
- Mastercam will now check an operation’s tool holder for interference with the part. It calculates areas where there is interference between the holder and part, and tells you the minimum tool length required to avoid it.
# # # # #
Developed by CNC Software, Inc., Mastercam is Windows®-based CAD/CAM software for 2- through 5-axis milling and turning; 2- and 4-axis wire EDM; 2D and 3D design, surface, and solid modeling; artistic relief cutting, and 2D and 3D routing. CNC Software is a privately owned corporation founded in 1984. The U.S.-based company provides Mastercam CAD/CAM solutions to more than 124,936 installations in 75 countries in industries including mold-making, prototyping, automotive, medical, aerospace, and consumer products. Mastercam runs under Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Vista, and is compatible with all other CAD/CAM systems. For more information about CNC Software, Inc. and its Mastercam family of products, contact CNC Software, Inc., M - F, 8 AM - 6 PM EST at (800) 228-2877 or (860) 875-5006, 671 Old Post Road, Tolland, CT 06084. Or visit