Alibre Design V9.2 Released
Alibre unveiled Alibre Design 9.2. Among the major enhancements in version 9.2 are compatibility with the new Windows Vista operating platform and an expansion of Adobe Acrobat PDF publishing capabilities for 3D mechanical design projects. A major aspect of Vista support in Alibre Design 9.2 is the recently released operating system’s use of DirectX for real-time accelerated graphics, a function crucial to rendering models in 3D CAD. Alibre Design has always employed DirectX, while most other 3D CAD applications rely on OpenGL-based graphics. Previous versions of Microsoft operating systems directly supported OpenGL whereas in Vista, OpenGL is layered on top of DirectX which can degrade graphics performance in OpenGL-based applications. Alibre Design 9.2 also has expanded PDF publishing that will build upon Adobe’s expanding 3D PDF strategy, including support for 3D PDF in all versions of Alibre Design along with a bundle consisting of Alibre Design Expert and Adobe Acrobat 3D. The pending release of Acrobat 3D 8.0 will include the ability to interoperate with the native file formats of virtually every major CAD system, expanding Alibre Design customers’ ability to import, edit, and augment 3D designs from other CAD systems including SolidWorks, Pro/ENGINEER, Unigraphics, CATIA, and Autodesk Inventor.
SolidWorks Helps Trek Bicycle Invent the "Lime"
Remember the bike you had as a kid? Remember the color and how you felt riding it? It's those rapturous feelings that Trek Bicycle Corp., with the help of SolidWorks, is recreating with the launch of the Trek Lime -- a new kind of bike for a different type of bicycle consumer - those who long ago abandoned cycling but just might want to ride again. The Trek Lime is an "everybike" with a coaster brake, fully automatic shifting, no cables, ultra-simple lines, a comfortable seat and - for the cool factor - swappable chain guards and handgrips in six different colors. And it's maintenance-free. SolidWorks software was instrumental in the design of the machine, which underwent myriad iterations based on research with an entirely different cohort from the company's usual target market of die-hard cyclists. As Trek industrial designers went through concept after concept, they were able to sketch directly on SolidWorks models by employing pressure-sensitive monitors that served as drawing tablets.
GoEngineer Earns North America Award for Top SolidWorks Reseller
GoEngineer Inc. was recognized by SolidWorks as its top SolidWorks and COSMOSWorks reseller in North America, an honor it has received for the fifth time. GoEngineer is a SolidWorks Reseller supporting customers in the Western U.S. SolidWorks also recognized GoEngineer’s application engineers and certified trainers, Mike Spens and Jim Boland, as Elite Application Engineers for 2006.
Engineer Sean Dotson Wins 2007 CAD Society Joe Greco Community Award
The CAD Society announced mechanical engineer, business owner, and web site develop er, Sean Dotson as the winner of its 2007 Joe Greco Community Award. For years, Dotson has contributed his CAD expertise on his online technology forums. Dotson has been a longtime participant in the Autodesk Inventor user community, a regular presenter at Autodesk User Group events, a developer of several related applications, and is a well-known CAD industry advisor and commentator. The CAD Society's Joe Greco Community Award is awarded each year to one individual who has distinguished themselves by improving communication and developing community within the CAD industry.
Professor Jay Sunyogh Wins 2007 CAD Society Leadership Award
The CAD Society announced Rio Hondo College professor Jay Sunyogh as the winner of its 2007 Leadership Award. The CAD Society recognized Sunyogh for his contributions during his teaching career and his educational programs aimed for underprivileged students. In addition to his distinguished career as dedicated educator and administrator, Sunyogh has chaired a CAD and drafting contest for over 50 Los Angeles high schools, including many from the inner city. The CAD Society Award for Leadership is awarded to an individual in the CAD industry whose outstanding technical and/or business leadership over the past year has significantly contributed to the benefit of the CAD community. Sunyogh is head of the department of architecture and computer aided design at Rio Hondo Community College in Whittier, California. He has set up and coordinates a program that offers introductory coursework in architecture, civil design, and mechanical design.
Jeffrey Rowe is the editor of MCADCafé and MCAD Weekly Review. He can be reached at Email Contact or 408.850.9230.
- Cimatron Releases Application for Design of Progressive Dies
- MSC.Software Announces MD Adams
- Comet Solutions Enables Early Simulation in Product Design
- Hendrick Motorsports Continues Winning Legacy With Help of UGS
- i get it Now Features New Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire Training
- Dassault Systemes, Walter Wilhelm Associates Partner to Deliver Industry-Specific PLM Solutions
- JAZO Cuts Design Time Using Pro/ENGINEER and EFD.Pro
- Maplesoft Launches BlockImporter for Simulink
- 3D Systems Delays Filing Form 10-K
- 64-Bit Windows Nastran with New Parallel Equation Solver
- Autodesk Announces Inventor of the Month for March 2007
- Delcam to Preview Automated Blisk Machining
- Agile Reports Q3 Results
- Altair Engineering and MIMOS Collaborate for Development and Implementation of Grid Technology Portals
- INCAT Helps to Grow Dassault Systèmes' Business in India
- Zund UK and JETCAM announce software bundling agreement
- 3D Systems Introduces Accura 55 Plastic for its SLA Systems
- Delcam's PartMaker Aids Move Into Medical Manufacturing
- Ingersoll Machine Tools Reach Full Speed with Vero International
- Matsushita Electric Works Brings CyberDome to Life with Dassault Systemes Solutions
- New CAD E-Newsletter Offered From Graphics Systems
- Actify Ships SpinFire Professional 8.2 Along With Improved .3D File Format
- Tangible Express Purchases 10 Rapid Manufacturing Systems from 3D Systems
- Invention Machine Continues Global Expansion
- Delcam to Launch PartMaker in Germany
- JETCAM signs new dealer in Poland
- BEASY In South America
- Hydrogen Having Impact on Automotive Market
- IBM Announces Public Beta for Lotus Notes and Domino 8
- GiveMePower Launches Technical Services Project at Robins Air Force Base
- HP Signs Services Deals with Johnson Controls
- Avnet Technology Solutions Expands Storage Portfolio
- Synergis EDS Expands AEC Offerings
- LMI Aerospace Announces Financial Results
- TIBCO Named to List of Most Influential Manufacturing Technology Providers
- IBM Recognized With Awards at CeBIT
- Innova Robotics & Automation Completes Acquisition of Altronics Service