CATIA V5 version 12 to Feature ImpactXoft.s Functional Modeling Technologyby Ira Breskin
By this fall, Dassault Systemes plans to fill the last remaining hole in its PLM product line.
That.s when Dassault is scheduled to release version 12 of CATIA V5, its pivotal 3D CAD tool. It will feature ImpactXoft.s Functional Modeling software, said Dassault Systemes spokesperson, Keith Pillow.
Bundling this advanced design collaborative and functional modeling software will allow CATIA to more effectively compete head-to-head with Web-based collaborative design tools offered by Agile Software Corp., MatrixOne Inc. and Parametric Technology Corp.
Collaborative product design/functional modeling software helps users boost design productivity by fostering faster iterations, design sharing, and simultaneous reconciliation.
Meanwhile, Dassault is scheduled on April 29, 2003 to roll out its latest CATIA V5 release, version 11, Pillow said. Dassault continually incorporates many new features in CATIA, many acquired through acquisition.
The ImpactXoft integration would come about a year after Dassault quietly agreed last September to incorporate ImpactXoft.s software. .This alliance allows us to take our functional modeling and collaboration technology from the incubator stage to become part of a full enterprise solution," said Attilio Rimoldi, ImpactXoft president and CEO.
As part of that deal, Dassault invested $10 million in privately held ImpactXoft, in exchange for a 15 percent equity stake. Moreover, Dassault has agreed to resell ImpactXoft software worldwide, except in Asia.
The reason: ImpactXoft developed its technology in conjunction with Toyota Caelum Inc., its sales agent there. In that region, the product is called Caelum Xxen.
Toyota Caelum is the Toyota Motor Corp. subsidiary that develops and sells CAD, CAM and CAE tools. Dassault.s decision to bundle ImpactXoft software also has strategic benefits given that the Paris-based company in March 2002 won a major contract to provide Toyota with next-generation design tools.
For additional information about Dassault Systemes, see www.3ds.com.
Ira Breskin, a freelance editor/writer specializing in business and technology issues, is a frequent contributor to Business Week, Newsday, and the New York Times. He holds a B.A. from Columbia University and a Knight-Bagehot Fellowship in Economics and Business Journalism, Columbia University Business School. He may be reached at Email Contact.
Comments? Feedback? Tell us what you think about this topic or if you have additional information you'd like to share on this subject! Submit your comments to: Email Contact.
- EDS To Delay First-Quarter Earnings Report Information Week, April 18, 2003
- Autodesk Manufacturing Solutions Increase Design Power and Optimize Processes; Autodesk Inventor Series 7 and Autodesk Streamline 5 Form Basis for Company's Desktop PLM Strategy [18 Apr 2003]
- Boeing Launches Orbital Space Plane Design [18 Apr 2003]
- HP Continues Performance Leadership with Next Generation of Itanium 2 Processor; Benchmark Results Demonstrate Strength of Next-generation Itanium 2 Processor and HP Systems [16 Apr 2003]
- IBM Reports 2003 First-Quarter Results; Diluted Earnings Per Share and Profit Increased 8%; Revenues Up 11% [14 Apr 2003]
- PTC Reports Fiscal 2003 Second Quarter Results [16 Apr 2003]
- CADCAM-E Announces New Release of Unigraphics to IGES Translator With UG NX Support [14 Apr 2003]
- Engineous Software and Simmetrix Sign FIPER Vendor Participant Agreement; Simmetrix To Provide A CAE Mesh Generation Component For the FIPER Infrastructure [16 Apr 2003]
- First Book Released for AutoCAD 2004 [16 Apr 2003]
- GAMBIT 2.1 to Include Native CATIA V4 Translation From Spatial and Automated Cleanup Tools For Complex CAD [15 Apr 2003]
- HP Introduces Entry-level Workstation with Unprecedented Price to Performance Ratio [14 Apr 2003]
- Invention Machine Secures additional $5 Million Round; Trident Capital Funds Enterprise Software and Services Company Focused on Innovation Solution [15 Apr 2003]
- ITI TranscenData Licenses HOOPS® Technology from Tech Soft for Next CADIQ. Release [14 Apr 2003]
- Spatial Announces PROSTEP As New Spatial CAA V5 Adopter; Leading Provider of Integration Solutions to Develop Engineering Management and PDM Solutions with CAA V5 [16 Apr 2003]
- Stereographics Announces Comprehensive Glasses-Free 3D Product Line; Recent Product Releases Secure StereoGraphics' Leadership in Stereo3D [15 Apr 2003]
- Tecnomatix Listed Among Leading PLM Vendors by Noted Analyst Firm; 'Magic Quadrant' Affirms Manufacturing Process Management's Importance within PLM [14 Apr 2003]
- Dassault Systemes Schedules First Quarter Conference Call Webcast for April 24, 2003 [14 Apr 2003]
- Delcam to demonstrate Total Modelling at RP Show [16 Apr 2003]
- Delcam to Feature Core, Cavity and Electrode Design at Mold Expo [16 Apr 2003]
- Delcam to Launch Free Guide to Packaging Design [14 Apr 2003]
- Executives from Celera, DaimlerChrysler, IBM and Shell To Keynote at ClusterWorld Conference & Expo in San Jose [14 Apr 2003]
- First ICEM Software User Group Meetings Since Independence Hailed as a Success by Attendees [14 Apr 2003]
- HUMMER H2 Keynote at daratechiDPS AUTO2003 [18 Apr 2003]
- Stratasys to Hold Conference Call to Discuss Q1 Results [14 Apr 2003]
- Strategic Management Group Launches Product Lifecycle Management Simulation Practice [15 Apr 2003]
- Tecnomatix Schedules First Quarter 2003 Results Conference Call For April 30 [16 Apr 2003]
- Metronor Selects CADKEY Mechanical Design and Manufacturing Software to Bundle with their Portable CMM Systems [11 Apr 2003]
- MSC.Software Implements MSC.Linux Platform and VPD Campus System at Eurocopter Germany [15 Apr 2003]