Dassault And IBM Announce V5R14 Of PLM PortfolioDassault Systemes and IBM have announced the release of Version 5 Release 14 (V5R14) of their product lifecycle management (PLM) portfolio, comprised of CATIA for collaborative product development, and ENOVIA and SMARTEAM for product data and life cycle management, collaboration, and decision support. Concurrently, Dassault Systemes announced V5R14 of DELMIA for digital development of factory and production processes.
The new release "Imagine and Work as a Global Team" introduces breakthrough technologies for industrial design and improved collaborative product development. For example, a new Workpackage Exchange product enables companies across the value chain to exchange detailed product definitions, promote concurrent relational design, and protect corporate intellectual property.
A revolutionary new CATIA Imagine and Shape product extends V5 PLM to industrial designers by enabling them to explore product ideas more rapidly, while permitting last-minute styling modifications for greater product success.
A new web-based ENOVIA LCA navigator provides role-specific access to PLM information throughout the enterprise. Engineers and non-engineers alike can navigate product, process, and resource information they require to perform their jobs.
"V5R14 will extend the breakthrough success we attained with the virtual development platform for the Falcon 7X," said Jacques Pellas, CIO, Dassault Aviation. "It will enable us to broaden the scope of PLM to include 7X digital support and operational maintenance. V5 PLM is essential to us as we build the most efficient and competitive aircraft in its category."
"As a supplier of gas turbine engines and a partner of the Falcon 7X program, we demonstrated the efficiency of the global collaborative workspace, thus increasing our pace of innovation," said Amal Girgis, CIO, Pratt & Whitney Canada. "V5 PLM Solutions give us world-class tools for collaborative innovation while improving data exchange, integrity, and security."
"The Chrysler Group of DaimlerChrysler AG is leveraging the power of the full V5 solution suite in the vehicle product development process," said Ron Bienkowski, director, Technical Computer Center, Chrysler Group, DaimlerChrysler Corp. "This means that each of our V5 users will be a power user. In this context, the VPM Navigator will effectively manage vehicle product data. The CATIA embedded user interface enables our engineers to work quickly and effectively in the context of their activity as part of the whole vehicle product definition."
The V5R14 product portfolio brings business value to manufacturers in the following areas:
- Global Collaborative Workspace - V5R14 strengthens collaboration across the value chain, enabling companies to work as one with their customers and partners to develop industry leading products. Along with the new Workpackage Exchange product, V5R14 also offers new products for communication between OEMs and suppliers in the virtual product development environment, and for co-design among designers informally working together on the same design either in real-time or in asynchronous mode.
- Innovation Catalyst - In addition to the CATIA Imagine and Shape product, V5R14 offers enhancements to Functional Modeling that extend to molded and cast parts. The release provides improved design-to-simulation capabilities for composite parts and new and improved Industry Solutions for Aerospace Structures Engineering, Integrated Mechanical Product Development for the Electronics industry, and Collaborative System Engineering.
- Personalized Navigation - The ENOVIA LCA Navigator improves productivity by enabling all users in an extended enterprise to navigate Product, Process, and Resource definitions. It offers 2D/3D Web viewing, instant collaboration, and lifecycle management services. An enhanced VPM Navigator includes capabilities for easier session building, faster navigation, and extended relational design support. The release also offers faster retrieval of product-related process and resource information from the Manufacturing Hub, and improved SMARTEAM web-based client capabilities.
- Capture, Protect and Reuse Intellectual Property - V5R14 introduces new Technological Packages in the Engineering Hub comprised of rules, specifications, and tolerancing data, enabling companies to capitalize on their valuable intellectual property by capturing, protecting, and reusing their corporate knowledge assets.
- Proven, Open, and Standard - The new release incorporates specialized PLM technology from new CAA V5 software community members such as Galaxia, Metrologic, Noesis, and Lattice Technology, bringing to 48 the total number of CAA V5 SCP partners.
V5R14 Brand Highlights:
- CATIA for collaborative product development - In addition to Imagine and Shape, CATIA V5R14 broadens the use of collaborative engineering across the extended enterprise with the new CATIA - Instant Collaborative Design product and offers advanced capacities for exchanging and reconciling engineering packages. It also bolsters the revolutionary CATIA - Functional Molded Part product to address casting parts modeling for the Automotive and F&A industries.
- ENOVIA for product data and lifecycle management and decision support - ENOVIA V5R14 extends the capabilities of next-generation VPM with 3D session building. It also extends ENOVIA LCA to web-based applications that are: easy to deploy on top of enterprise middleware; easy to learn; and work with DELMIA to deliver engineering-to-manufacturing common change management.
- SMARTEAM for product lifecycle collaboration - SMARTEAM V5R14 delivers expanded industry and cross-industry business process solutions through accelerated PLM deployment of optimized product development, and enhances management of fully integrated product and project data, facilitating productivity, knowledge reuse, and use of resources.
- DELMIA for digital development of factory and production processes - DELMIA V5R14 refines the solutions for Final Assembly with the DELMIA - Electrical Harness Process Simulation product. It also provides process planners with easy-to-use machining feature tolerancing capabilities with the new DELMIA - Machining Tolerancing Assistant product.
First Production Fords Powered By Ballard Fuel CellsThe first production vehicles (Ford Focus) powered with Ballard fuel cells and built by Ford Motor Company for customer use under the U.S. Department of Energy demonstration program were unveiled in Detroit last week. Ballard Power Systems together with its Alliance partners, DaimlerChrysler and Ford, continue to lead the industry in fuel cell development, as they place the largest fleet of fuel cell vehicles in the hands of customers, further advancing the path to commercialization. Nearly half of the Department of Energy's announced fleets under the Hydrogen Economy Initiative will be Ford and DaimlerChrysler vehicles, all powered with Ballard fuel cells.
"The launch of this Ford fuel cell demonstration fleet, together with the previously announced DaimlerChrysler deployments of cars, vans, and buses powered with Ballard fuel cells, clearly demonstrates the strength and leadership of our fuel cell Alliance," said Dennis Campbell, Ballard's President and Chief Executive Officer. "This unique collaboration between Ford, DaimlerChrysler and Ballard Power Systems is fielding the most extensive fuel cell vehicle demonstration ever undertaken. Over the next two years more than 120 Alliance-built fuel cell vehicles will be on the road in the hands of end-use customers in thirteen different countries. The experience we are gaining under actual driving conditions will add immeasurably to our fundamental technology understanding and keep the Alliance at the forefront of the most sweeping transformation in the history of motor transport."