MecSoft Releases Integrated CAD/CAM Solution - RhinoCAM 1.0MecSoft Corporation, the maker of VisualMill, the easiest to use and best performing standalone CAM application, is now releasing a fully integrated CAD/CAM software package called RhinoCAM 1.0. Working in partnership with Robert McNeel & Associates (RMA), the maker of the world's leading NURBS based CAD product Rhinoceros, MecSoft brings to the market un-paralleled ease of use and seamless CAD/CAM integration in this product.
RhinoCAM is ideal for the industrial design, rapid prototyping, production machining, mold making and educational markets. Powered by the VisualMill 5.0 CAM engine, it offers 2 1/2-axis milling, 3-axis milling and hole making operations along with free post-processors.
"RhinoCAM is a fully integrated best of breed CAD/CAM solution that offers full data associativity with seamless user interface integration" said Joe Anand, President of MecSoft. "The associativity between design and manufacturing data, allows users to react to design changes instantly, reliably and most of all without the need for data translation. Additionally RhinoCAM's user interface is seamlessly integrated into Rhino allowing the user to create manufacturing operations without the need to learn a completely new user interface. All of this translates to significant productivity improvements and cost savings for the user. We are truly excited about RhinoCAM and consider this release as an important first in a series of new products that we have planned."
"Combining Rhinos flexible free-form modeling with RhinoCAM's excellent machining capabilities brings together a set of features never previously available in such tight integration," explains Bob McNeel, President of Robert McNeel & Associates. "Now it is possible to change the Rhino models and then immediately update the toolpaths for quick turnaround of prototypes and production machining. And all of this can be done without leaving the familiar Rhino native environment."
MecSoft Corporation is a leading provider of Windows-based CAM software solutions for manufacturing parts in a wide variety of industries, including automotive, mold & die, aerospace, general machining and education.
Founded in 1980, Robert McNeel & Associates (RMA) is a privately-held, employee-owned corporation providing technical professionals with productive tools shaped from emerging technologies. RMA has regional offices in Latin America, Europe, and Asia.
RhinoCAM 1.0 is a plug-in that is completely integrated in Rhino 3.0 and requires Rhino 3.0 to be installed in order for it to run - it is not a standalone application. This plug-in is a general purpose machining program targeted at general machinists. RhinoCAM 1.0 includes 2-1/2 axis, 3-axis, and hole making operations. This 2-1/2 and 3-axis solid/surface/STL manufacturing system is based on the MecSoft VisualMill 5.0 CAM engine It comes with hundreds of post-processors and a post-processor generator that lets you create user definable post-processors.
This product is well-suited for the rapid-prototyping, hobby, and educational markets where ease of learning/ease of use are major requirements. It supports several universal manufacturing methods and is also well-priced for a product of this type. The price right now for the RhinoCAM 1.0 plug-in is (US) $699 (regularly $999). The current price for RhinoCAM 1.0 including Rhinoceros 3.0 CAD Modeler is (US) $999 (regularly $1,499).
I've been a fan of Rhino since version 1.0 because it can create, edit, analyze, and translate NURBS curves, surfaces, solids, and is quite affordable (it has no maintenance fees) for all of its capabilities. There are virtually no limits on what Rhino can handle in terms of complexity, degree, or size. Unlike some of its competition, models created with Rhino are precise and accurate. It can read and repair IGES files and is compatible with just about all CAD, CAM, CAE, rendering, animation, and illustration software. Rhino also supports polygon meshes and has relatively modest computer requirements.
Designing for manufacturing is not easy. Modeling for manufacturing is even harder. RhinoCAM provides the freedom, control, and accuracy to model just about anything and then manufacture it and its tooling directly from the same model. RhinoCAM is the beginning a solid marriage of two good products - one CAD and one CAM.
Jeffrey Rowe is the editor and publisher of MCADCafé and MCAD Weekly Review. He can be reached here or 408.850.9230.
This WeekTop Stories
- Arena Solutions Takes Major Step To Accelerate PLM Adoption
- Daka Dives Into New Market For Recreational SEASCOOTER With SolidWorks And COSMOSWorks Software
- CAD/CAM Components Releases GW3DFeatures Fully Integrated Surfacing Modeling Software For SolidWorks 2005
- ImpactXoft Receives Innovator Of the Year Award From German CAD/CAM Magazine
- High Performance Machining From EdgeCAM
- SolidProfessor To Showcase SolidWorks Multimedia Training Products At SolidWorks World 2005
- Surfware To Demonstrate SURFCAM-SolidWorks Seamless Interoperability At SolidWorks World 2005
- Engineering PLM Solutions Receives SolidWorks Solution Partner Status For Its EDM Product Suite
- ANSYS To Release Q4 Earnings
- Cadpo Announces AutoCAD-To-SolidWorks Transition Course
- Arena Solutions Announces Record Q4 And Fiscal Year
- Bernard Mould Turns To Kubotek KeyCreator To Manufacture Art Sculptures
- New ABAQUS Version 6.5 Increases Analysis Power And Ease Of Use
- Agile To Present At SolidWorks World 2005
- Ansoft Enhances Maxwell SV For Design And Study Of Electromechanical Devices
- Empresa Solutions To Introduce Kinnosa Workflow - PDMWorks Edition At SolidWorks World 2005
- Actify SpinFire Professional 2004v2 Receives "Designed For Windows XP" Logo Certification
- Moldflow Announces Substantial Growth In Second Fiscal Quarter Revenue And Earnings
- ANSYS Earns Desktop Engineering Readers' Choice Award
- Konica-Minolta Becomes First Hardware Provider To Integrate Scan Control Inside RapidForm 3D Scanning Software
- Synergis Software To Exhibit Adept PDM Solution At SolidWorks World
- Intergraph Reaches Global Patent Settlement With Hewlett-Packard
- HP And Intergraph Settle Patent Litigation
- Report Highlights Engineer-to-Order Manufacturing Gains From Rules-Driven Product Management
- ENGINEERING.com Announces Collaboration Suite 2005
- Managing Automation Names Logility Customer As A Finalist For First Annual Progressive Manufacturing Awards
- Successful Manufacturing Performance Programs Aren't Driven By Cost Reduction Goals, According To AberdeenGroup Report
- Ford Motor Orders TrueViewVision Guided Robotics System, Powered By Braintech's eVF
- NASA Aerospace Engineer Living His Dream
- Agile Customers Selected As Finalists For Managing Automation's Progressive Manufacturing Awards
- MatrixOne Design For Compliance Solution To Help Product Companies Comply With Emerging Environmental Regulations
- Selectica Announces New Solution For Manufacturing Companies To Accelerate Sales Effectiveness
- Study Finds Manufacturing Execs Plan For Increased Online Marketing Spending In 2005
- Hyundai Motor Company Selects SGI Altix Servers To Improve New Car Design And Analysis
- Novedge Announces Record Revenue And Web Traffic Growth During 2004
- Bentley Acquires CAD Applications From IFS For Plant Engineering
- Robotics, Biometrics, And Assisted Living Applications Win 1st Stage Of CanestaVision Competition
- SAIC Program Receives Modeling And Simulation Award
- CADD Edge Maintains Ranking As Largest SolidWorks Provider In The Northeast