Quarterly Revenue Increases 27.3% Year over Year to $56.1 Million
Full Year 2014 Revenue Increases 28.5% from 2013 to $209.6 Million
MAPLE PLAIN, Minn. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — February 5, 2015 — Proto Labs, Inc. (NYSE: PRLB), a leading online and technology-enabled, quick-turn, on-demand manufacturer, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2014.
Fourth Quarter 2014 Highlights include:
- Revenue for the fourth quarter of 2014 increased to a record $56.1 million, 27.3 percent above revenue of $44.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2013.
- Revenue for the fourth quarter of 2014 from additive services (3D printing) through the Fineline acquisition completed last April increased to $3.9 million, a 48 percent increase compared to Fineline’s fourth quarter of 2013.
- The record quarterly revenue was driven by a 40 percent increase in the number of unique product developers and engineers, including those served by the Fineline business.
- Net income for the fourth quarter of 2014 increased to $10.2 million, or $0.39 per diluted share. Non-GAAP net income, excluding the after tax expense of stock compensation and amortization of intangibles, was $11.2 million, or $0.43 per diluted share. See “Non-GAAP Financial Measure” below.
“The fourth quarter was a solid ending to a strong year, reflecting record quarterly revenues in all three geographies on a local currency basis,” said Vicki Holt, President and Chief Executive Officer of Proto Labs. “Our business in North America, excluding the contribution from Fineline, grew 23 percent year over year. Revenue in Europe in the fourth quarter increased 10 percent from the fourth quarter of last year and revenue in Japan grew 25 percent in the fourth quarter year over year in local currency.”
“2014 was an excellent year for the company. We made good operational progress and achieved strong financial performance,” continued Ms. Holt. “Revenue grew 28.5 percent; our gross margin was 61.3 percent; and we maintained a 29 percent GAAP operating margin. During the year, we successfully executed on our first acquisition. We launched two new processes and ten new materials and capabilities. Including Fineline, we served 21,550 unique product developers and engineers, an increase of 34 percent over 2013. Excluding the Fineline business, we increased the product developers and engineers served by 20%. We invested in capacity infrastructure for all three of our product lines and we expanded our sales and marketing teams. These initiatives will be critical in the years ahead as we continue to pursue our strategies for growth.”
Additional Fourth Quarter 2014 Highlights include:
- Gross margin was 59.9 percent of revenue during the fourth quarter of 2014 compared with 62.7 percent during the same quarter of 2013. The decline reflects an 80 basis point impact of Fineline, which carries a lower gross margin than the legacy products, investments in manufacturing capacity of 80 basis points to support recently launched services and expected growth and a 110 basis point impact of foreign exchange rates.
- Spending on research and development, including the Protoworks initiatives and integration activities related to Fineline, totaled $4.7 million, or 8.3 percent of revenue. This compares to $3.5 million, or 7.8 percent of revenue, during the fourth quarter of 2013.
- Sales and marketing expense increased 32 percent to $8.1 million, or 14.5 percent of revenue, reflecting the planned expansion of sales and marketing staff to drive revenue growth.
- GAAP operating margin was 26.2 percent of revenue during the fourth quarter of 2014 compared to 31.5 percent during the fourth quarter of 2013.
Full Year 2014 Highlights include:
- Revenue increased 28.5 percent to $209.6 million compared with $163.1 million in 2013.
- Net income for 2014 increased to $41.6 million, or $1.60 per diluted share. Non-GAAP net income, excluding the after tax expense of stock compensation and amortization of intangibles, was $45.2 million, or $1.73 per diluted share. See “Non-GAAP Financial Measure” below.
- Cash generated from operations during the year totaled $57.2 million. Cash, cash equivalents and investments were $128.4 million at December 31, 2014.
“During 2015, we will continue to focus on pursuing the growth
opportunities we see for the company from our three growth vectors:
adding new product developers and engineers, expanding the envelope of
our product offerings and commercializing new processes. The integration
of Fineline is nearly complete and we are realizing the benefits of
cross-selling and the expanded manufacturing capacity we put in place
there and expect the benefits to be increasingly evident throughout the
year. Our LSR and metal injection molding, introduced last year, are
gaining traction in the market. Our soft launch of turned machined parts
progressed well in the fourth quarter and we are on track for our full
launch later this quarter. We are focused on improving our customers’
experience and driving awareness and sales of Proto Labs’ unique
capabilities to product developers and engineers around the world
through a larger, well-trained sales force and more targeted marketing
campaigns. I remain very confident about the potential for the company
and the ability of our team to deliver on the growth and profitability
targets in support of our long-term model,” Ms. Holt concluded.