- First-place team will earn the chance to bring its idea to market with the support of Edison Nation and $250,000 investment in services and support
- Runner-up teams will earn cash prizes from the X PRIZE Foundation to further develop their ideas
WHERE: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Madison Building; 600 Dulany Street; Alexandria, Va.
WHEN: Tuesday, June 19, 2012: Ceremony: 10:30 a.m. – noon, Eastern Media Avail: noon – 1:00 p.m.
WHY: The annual FLL® Global Innovation Award, hosted by FIRST, helps students solve real-world problems by supporting the development of their ideas and inventions through the product development process
- Kid inventor panel: students taking questions and discussing their inventions
- Kids unveiling their inventions
- Teams of local FIRST participants (ages 6 – 18) with their robots and projects on display
- Margaret Focarino, Ph.D., Commissioner, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Elisabeth Hagen, M.D., Undersecretary, Food Safety, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture
- Margaret Hamburg, M.D., Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration
- Dean Kamen, Inventor and Founder, FIRST
- Jon Dudas, President, FIRST
- Robert K. Weiss, Vice Chairman and President, X PRIZE Foundation
- Louis Foreman, Founder of Edison Nation and Emmy Award-Winning PBS Television Show, Everyday Edisons
Dean Kamen founded FIRST ® (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology), a not-for-profit, to inspire young people’s interest in science and technology. FIRST ® LEGO ® League is one of four robotics programs offered by FIRST. Each year, FIRST LEGO League issues students a three-part challenge, which includes building, testing, and programming an autonomous robot using LEGO ® MINDSTORMS ® NXT and conducting a research project working under a set of core values. Students in FIRST LEGO League can enter their ideas in the FLL Global Innovation Award. This year’s FLL Global Innovation Award program sponsors include Edison Nation; X PRIZE Foundation; Booz Allen Hamilton; John Deere; MasterCard; and Rockwell Collins. For more information about the FLL Global Innovation Award, visit http://fllinnovationaward.firstlegoleague.org/.
FIRST ® and the FIRST ® logo are registered trademarks of the United States Foundation for Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST ®). LEGO ® and MINDSTORMS ® are registered trademarks of The LEGO Group. FIRST ® LEGO ® League and FLL® are jointly held trademarks of FIRST and The LEGO Group.