Editor’s Disclosure: SolidWorks provided hotel, meal, and registration expenses for the event, but did not influence observations or comments.
The Week’s Top 5
At MCADCafé we track many things, including the stories that have attracted the most interest from our subscribers. Below are the five news items that were the most viewed during last week.
HP Introduces World’s First 27-inch All-in-One Workstation
HP unveiled its all-in-one workstation with a 27-inch diagonal display.Built for CAD, digital media, and entertainment professionals, the HP Z1 provides blazingly fast rendering and performance. Highlights include:
- Workstation performance. Features professional NVIDIA Quadro graphics, ECC memory, quad-core Intel Xeon processors, independent software vendor solutions and whisper-quiet acoustics.
- Tool-less chassis. Users can easily add a hard drive, upgrade memory or access the graphics card by snapping open the chassis to swap out parts.
- Workstation-class storage. Users can choose from a variety of storage types, including 7.2K and 10K SATA, SSD, optional RAID configurations, removable drives (AMO), a multiformat media card reader and optical drives including a slot-load Blu-ray Writer.
- Professional display. The 27-inch white LED diagonal display supports more than a billion colors and features a wide, 178-degree viewing angle and an in-plane switching (IPS) panel.
- High-fidelity audio.
- High-definition Webcam.
- HP Remote Graphics Software.
- HP Performance Advisor.
The HP Z1 Workstation is expected to be available worldwide in April. Pricing starts at $1,899 (US).
Theorem Solutions JT 3DXML translator helps the CATIA Community to work with JT data
Theorem Solutions announcedits latest visualization products helping resolve the issue of working with JT data for the CATIA community. Theorem's JT to 3DXML CADverter makes accurate JT data available to users of CATIA V5, 3DLive, 3DVIA Composer, Delmia, and Enovia.Dassault Systemes strategic XCAD and Siemens JT Open technology ensures full compatibility, delivers high quality data and business benefits with the latest version of Theorem’s JT to 3DXML CADverter.Theorem’s JT to 3DXML CADverter is easy to use, saves time and reduces costs through not having to re-work data, also removing the occurrence of manual errors.The JT to 3DXML product is available on Windows XP, Vista and 7, 32- and 64-bit platforms. Access to a licensed copy of CATIA V5 is required for operation.
Aras Announces New Release of Aras EPLM for SolidWorks Enterprise PDM
Aras announced the latest release of Aras Enterprise PLM (Aras EPLM) for SolidWorks Enterprise PDM. New features include Redline Revision Comparison, Dynamic Team Collaboration Security, Enterprise Virtualization, and even better SolidWorks-style look and feel and more. Release highlights include:
- SolidWorks Look and Feel - New SolidWorks EPDM screen design further simplifies use for SolidWorks designers.
- Redline Revision Comparison - Makes it quick and easy to visually identify and compare changes to Bill of Materials (BOMs), suppliers, documents, and more.
- Dynamic Team Collaboration Security - Enables the definition of collaboration teams on-the-fly for any item or group of items such as a BOM and related MCAD, EDA and software/firmware files for easy extended enterprise collaboration.
- Enterprise Virtualization - Comprehensive support for data center virtualization enabling distributed deployment scenarios across physical server infrastructure resources.
Anark Announces MBEWorks for SolidWorks 2012
Anark Corp. announced its new 3D MBE capability integrated into SolidWorks 2012, called Anark Core MBEWorks. Anark Core MBEWorks transforms SolidWorks 2012 parts and assemblies with 3D linear dimensions and tolerances, 3D GD&T, and other 3D notes into high-resolution 3D PDF and 3D HTML MBE documents. These open format documents contain manufacture-quality B-REP geometry, interactive associativity (between features and their 3D Dimensions and Tolerances per ASME Y14.41 "visual response"), and "machine readable" semantic definitions for each component part. With MBEWorks you can transform SolidWorks 3D Parts, Assemblies with 3D Dimension and Tolerance data into 3D MBE Technical Data Packages (TDPs), Requests for Quotes, Digital Work Instructions, Inspection Documents and other 3D PDF and 3D HTML based manufacturing process documents.
Kenesto Chooses Tech Soft 3D as Cloud-Based 3D Partner
Tech Soft 3D, the leading provider of 3D component technology to the engineering software industry, today announced that Kenesto, a business process automation system for manufacturing, will feature Tech Soft 3D technology. Kenesto will use Tech Soft 3D's HOOPS Exchange for 3D CAD conversion and HOOPS Visualize for visualization. Michael Payne, CEO of Kenesto, said, "The promise of the HOOPS technologies from the outset is to provide our customers with flexible development tools for deploying unique applications in a range of environments, and on a range of platforms," added Ron Fritz, CEO of Tech Soft 3D. "Our 350+ HOOPS customers demonstrate our long history of providing solutions for desktop and mobile environments. With its exciting new approach, Kenesto is the perfect partner to demonstrate our ability to help developers deploy rich applications in cloud environments."
Jeffrey Rowe is the editor of MCADCafé and MCAD Weekly Review. He can be reached at Email Contact or 719.221.1867.
SolidWorks World 2012: The Road Ahead