New Release Strengthens Modeling Capabilities, Point Cloud Handling and CAD Translation Support
BROOMFIELD, Colo. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — August 2, 2011 — Spatial Corp., a leading provider of 3D development components for design, manufacturing and engineering applications, today announces 3D ACIS® Modeler and 3D InterOp R22. The release supports Spatial’s commitment to enhance ACIS and 3D InterOp based on developer and end-user needs. ACIS R22 introduces an innovative approach for uncovering the root cause of modeling failures, enhances point cloud capabilities and performance, and offers new functions for improving modeling robustness. 3D InterOp R22 suite of translators includes support for additional format-specific attributes and provides support for the latest CAD versions.
In ACIS R22, one area of focus was raising the level of transparency of the modeler’s error reporting to aid developers in determining the root cause of an issue. When an operation fails, the responsible geometrical complexities and all possible related factors are identified. With this information, including descriptive error messages and references to the problematic entities, developers are able to efficiently address encountered failures. In addition, several new capabilities were added for dimensional metrology applications, including a new point cloud data structure with a high-performance selection mechanism, a registration API for aligning a point cloud with the design model, and integration with the entity-point-distance calculation API to improve ease of use. Lastly, new APIs for addressing topology irregularities improve the overall robustness of the modeler.
“When we chose Spatial, we were looking for a geometry kernel and a set of CAD translators that met our performance and functionality requirements. What we found was a development partner that understood our industry, listened to our needs and responded,” commented Mathieu Dubé-Dallaire, BuildIT Engineering Manager. “R22 includes new capabilities that BuildIT requested for our 3D model-based inspection software, along with other functionality we did not request, but glad someone else did. The release reconfirms our belief that we chose an excellent technology and found a great partnership in the industry.”
ACIS R22 New Functionality and Enhancements
ACIS R22 includes the following new capabilities:
- Error Collator collates failure related information such that it is more useful for users. The mechanism employs multiple strategies to identify the root cause of the failure including geometrical complexities or known limitations, as well as identification of deterministic or probabilistic causes when needed. ACIS diagnostics information has been improved with descriptive messaging and better coverage.
- R22 introduces a new data structure for point clouds. The new structure organizes the data for fast spatial queries, and supports geometric selection using a sphere, box, or plane, as well as provides the ability to define a custom selection type.
- For aligning the point cloud data with a design model, R22 includes a Registration API that automatically determines the point cloud orientation for exact cloud placement on the model.
- The high-performance Entity-Point-Distance (EPD) function has been integrated into the new point cloud data structure for developer ease-of-use.
- An edge wrapping function wraps a planar wire body on a given target body using the specified initial start position, target face and wrap direction. The function can be used to place text on a model.
- The Fixed Distance Chamfer function has been advanced to maintain dimensional accuracy whenever a chamfer is placed along complex surfaces.
- Several new APIs have been added to quickly identify and address unwanted topology on a model.
For a complete list of functionality see the ACIS R22 Release Notes
3D InterOp R22 Enhancements
3D InterOp R22 adds the ability to import additional feature types, attributes and model states, along with support for the latest CAD and industry-standard file versions.
- New CATIA V5 Import Support
- Work planes and infinite lines
- Hole features for hybrid CATIA V5 models
- Work states
- New Pro/E Import Support
- Family tables for parts and assemblies
- Work planes in parts
- Ability to distinguish driving and driven dimensions (3D InterOp Manufacturing option)
- Additional Attribute Support
- SolidWorks: configuration names for parts embedded in an assembly, name attributes attached to BODY, FACE and EDGE
- NX Reader: user defined datum target types, name attributes attached to FACE and EDGE
- Inventor Reader: import parts from sub-folders of an assembly
- New CAD Version and Platform Support
- CATIA V5 R21 read and write
- Inventor 2012 read
- ProE/Creo 1.0 (Wildfire 5), Siemens NX7.5, SolidWorks 2011 read
- Parasolid v24 read and write
- Platforms: Microsoft Visual Studio 32 bit