Connected webOS tablet is a productivity powerhouse for businesses and consumers
PALO ALTO, Calif. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — July 12, 2011 — HP (NYSE: HPQ) today announced that the HP TouchPad 4G(1) will be available exclusively in the United States on the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network, AT&T, in time for back to school.(2)
With a faster 1.5-GHz processor, 32 GB of internal storage(3), integrated GPS(4) and AT&T wireless mobile broadband capabilities built in, the connected version of HP’s first webOS tablet lets users browse the web, check email and get more done in more places – not just Wi-Fi hotspots.
“TouchPad 4G is ideal for anyone who needs maximum flexibility for productivity on the go,” said David Gee, vice president, Marketing and Enterprise Solutions, webOS, Personal Systems Group, HP. “It’s particularly well suited for users who rely on connectivity in the field – from large corporations to small businesses and self-employed mobile professionals.”
“Consumers and small business customers are seeking cutting-edge mobile computing devices that offer easy access to the web and the ability to stay in touch with friends and clients on the go,” said David Haight, vice president, Business Development, Emerging Devices, AT&T. “The TouchPad 4G is a sharp, multifunctional device that delivers the perfect set of features. Pairing it with the nation’s fastest mobile broadband network and most extensive Wi-Fi network gives TouchPad 4G users the best mobile broadband experience in the market.”
AT&T’s fast mobile broadband network will enable HP TouchPad 4G users to download large files quickly, stay on top of emails, and access favorite websites with ease. With AT&T’s DataConnect Plans for Tablets, users can buy the prepaid or postpaid mobile broadband data service that fits their needs, whether they’re an occasional user or want to stay connected all the time. HP TouchPad 4G users also will be able to take advantage of unlimited access to more than 20,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots nationwide with qualifying data plans.(5)
With support for Adobe® Flash Player Beta; video calling capabilities; the ability to print wirelessly to compatible networked HP printers; Quickoffice to view Microsoft® Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files; and Adobe Reader to view PDFs, HP TouchPad is a true productivity powerhouse. It automatically syncs personal and work emails, contacts and calendars from sources such as Microsoft Exchange, Facebook and Google into a single view.(6)
With webOS, TouchPad users also have a next-level multitasking experience, integrated access to their information with HP Synergy, the ability to find information on the device or the web using the Just Type feature, and unobtrusive notifications. HP TouchPad is designed to help users accomplish more, letting them connect, play, surf and share more easily.
Optional accessories for HP TouchPad include the HP Touchstone Charging Dock, the HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard and the HP TouchPad Case.
U.S. pricing and availability
The HP TouchPad 4G on the AT&T mobile broadband network will be available through HP commercial channels, AT&T Business Services and major retailers. Specific pricing and dates will be available at a later date.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure at the convergence of the cloud and connectivity, creating seamless, secure, context-aware experiences for a connected world. More information about HP is available at http://www.hp.com.
Editor’s note: Media can access high-resolution images and video in the HP webOS Media Library at www.hpwebos.com/mml.
(1) TouchPad 4G is an HSPA+ Category 14 device that supports download speed of up to 21Mbps. Wireless connection requires wireless data service contract and network support, and is not available in all areas. Contact service provider to determine the coverage area and availability. Connection speeds will vary due to location, environment, network conditions and other factors. AT&T 4G speeds delivered by HSPA+ with enhanced backhaul and are available in limited areas. Availability increasing with ongoing backhaul deployment. More information available at att.com/network.
(2) Mobile broadband not available everywhere.
(3) User-available storage subject to change based on system software and application usage.
(4) Within wireless coverage area only. Voice-activated, as-you-go, turn-by-turn directions sold separately. Not available in all regions. Check with carrier for availability.
(5) Access includes AT&T Wi-Fi Basic. Wi-Fi-enabled device required. Other restrictions apply. Details and locations available at www.attwifi.com.
(6) Within wireless coverage area only. Microsoft Exchange email,
contacts and calendars available for ActiveSync only; requires Microsoft
Outlook using Exchange Server 2003 with SP2, Exchange Server 2007 or
Exchange Server 2010.