V5 Solution Enhancements to Support Customers’ Needs; Select Version 6 Capabilities Also Enabled in V5 Portfolio
VÉLIZY-VILLACOUBLAY, France — (BUSINESS WIRE) — July 4, 2011 — Dassault Systèmes (Euronext Paris: #13065, DSY.PA), a world leader in 3D and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) solutions, announced today the availability of Version 5 Release 21 (V5R21). V5R21 demonstrates Dassault Systèmes’ continued commitment to its popular PLM portfolio, currently deployed in over 100,000 customers worldwide. V5R21 solutions establish “digital continuity” from engineering to real shop floor manufacturing operations to support customer needs, while leveraging Version 6 technologies for better co-existence of V5 and V6 solutions in customer environments.
In V5R21, Dassault Systèmes delivers upward and downward compatibility between CATIA V5 and V6 data that is equivalent to the compatibility between two releases of V5. In addition, V5R21 supports collaborative relational design between CATIA V5 and Version 6, enabling best in class collaboration between OEMs and their supply chain. The original decision to maintain the same geometry kernel between V5 and V6 also makes hybrid design environments much more efficient than previous version-to-version collaboration.
“Even customers who have yet to fully experience our open Version 6 portfolio are gaining the benefits of Dassault Systèmes’ Version 6 developments. Our evolution towards PLM 2 wasn’t just a visionary reimagining of what PLM could do for our customers,” explained Dominique Florack, senior executive vice president, Products, Research and Development, Dassault Systèmes. “What we are seeing in V5R21 are the combined fruits of our Version 6 and Version 5 developments.”
V5R21 includes new composites analysis enhancements to SIMULIA Extended Analysis, new CATIA Lofting capabilities, improvements to ENOVIA SmarTeam Express’ out-of-the-box offering for the Industrial Equipment and Energy industries, improvements to ENOVIA’s concurrent engineering functionality, as well as many other capabilities, and the integration of Version 5-compliant Intercim MES capabilities.
The recent acquisition of Intercim and its MES and quality improvement solutions continues to expand Dassault Systèmes’ manufacturing reach by defining a new step for PLM that delivers open digital continuity from engineering to real factory operations for highly regulated industries. V5R21’s new open Shop Order product enables DELMIA to be tightly integrated with either Dassault Systèmes or third-party MES solutions.
V5R21: Continued Enrichment
V5R21 Virtual Design Enhancements:
- CATIA Imagine & Shape, the virtual clay modeler based on subdivision surface technology, addresses the high standards Dassault Systèmes automotive customers require in body shape design. It delivers three types of Imagine & Shape improvements: enhanced body shape detailing, (e.g. cutting face, N-gone, etc), enhanced user experience with in-context manipulation, and real-time rendering visual feedback during product design. In yet another example of Dassault Systèmes’ solution openness, V5R21 now provides a way to import “subdivision surfaces” coming from third-party software through standard .obj files.
- V5 Class A Surfacing now matches CATIA V6’s advanced and powerful freeform surface modeling, modification and analysis capabilities. This completes the feature set alignment between the 2 versions, started in V5R19.
- New machining processes and simulation capabilities in pocketing enhance quality, reduce machining time and enables faster programming. V5R21 delivers a new process for hard material machining to increase tool life duration, and major improvements to multi-pocket flank contouring, such as feed rate reduction in corner and control overlap for close tool paths.
- CATIA Wire Harness’ productivity and usability is improved with a new 3D label selection process during flattening. Synchronization of components is simpler and more robust with superior branch management and efficient hybrid parts components handling.
- CATIA V5’s Lofting solution has been enhanced to define continuity in curvature (G2 - with section supports or guide supports) where previously only tangent continuity was supported.
V5R21 Realistic Simulation Enrichments:
- Import composites data direct from CATIA Composites Design -- SIMULIA Extended Analysis allows V5 users to perform nonlinear and thermal stress analysis within the CATIA V5 environment, leveraging robust Abaqus FEA technology. With this release it is now possible to import composite properties from the CATIA Composite Design (CPD) workbench into an analysis model, greatly expanding the composite structural analysis capabilities of CATIA integrated analysis. V5R21 also provides a simpler, more efficient approach to contact modeling, using the Abaqus “general contact” technology.
- CATIA Generative Part Structure Analysis -- CATIA V5 Analysis provides users with realistic design simulation capability within the CATIA V5 environment. This integrated analysis solution includes linear static stress analysis, transient and harmonic dynamic analysis, contact analysis, buckling analysis and assembly of multiple analysis models. The V5R21 release further enhances the ease of use of CATIA Generative Part Structural Analysis (GPS) by providing a surface selection capability that enables users to select faces by continuity angle. For models with complex surfaces, this enhancement can save substantial time during model creation and make surface selection more reliable and intuitive.