"Software developers can benefit significantly from working with common programming interfaces to harness the outstanding performance of innovative, heterogeneous technology like AMD Fusion APUs across platforms," said Manju Hegde, corporate vice president, AMD Fusion Experience Program. "The software industry continues to advance at breakneck speed with an ever increasing number of innovative applications that are coming to market, which are based on common platforms such as OpenCL, OpenGL and DirectCompute."
As software developers embrace common application programming interfaces (APIs), the industry is seeing a groundswell of consumer and commercial applications built on the OpenCL standard, thanks to its inherent flexibility across platforms, operating systems and vendor hardware.
"Today's creative professional needs a complete solution that delivers clear, crisp and stutter-free visuals that will allow them to edit, process and create content quickly and without interruption," said Dave Chaimson, vice president of Global Marketing, Sony Creative Software. "New support has been added to Vegas Pro 10.0d for accelerated OpenCL-based video rendering. We see this as a solid first step towards a faster production workflow for video professionals, and we are strongly committed to the OpenCL standard."
HP Labs also is working with AMD to implement OpenCL acceleration of real-time imaging software for HP large-format, commercial and industrial printing solutions. "Innovative, leading-edge technology is key to providing the best possible support to HP's commercial printing customers," said I-Jong Lin, principal scientist, Print and Content Delivery, HP Corporate Research Laboratory. "The application of GPU acceleration in raster image processing has enabled a breakthrough in commercial printing solutions, and we anticipate replicating that success across market segments by porting our OpenPL library to OpenCL standards."
Following is a sample of leading applications that already support OpenCL or will support it in the near future:
- ArcSoft, TotalMedia® Theatre - All-in-one video playback software
- Corel WinDVD® - Blu-ray and DVD player software
Telepresence and Webcam Apps
- ArcSoft, Webcam Companion® - Application bundle with HD and 3D support for web cameras
- ViVu VuRoom - Multi-party desktop videoconferencing software
- ViVu VuCast - Large-scale video webcast software
Video Creation/Editing Software
- ArcSoft, ShowBiz® - Video editing software
- Corel Digital Studio - integrated multimedia software suite
- Corel VideoStudio® Pro - HD video-editing software
- Cyberlink PowerDirector - Video editing software
- Sony, Vegas Movie Studio HD - Home studio solutions for HD video editing
- Sony, Vegas Pro - Professional solutions for HD video, audio and Blu-ray Disc creation
Video, Photo Effects, Imaging and Utilities
- ArcSoft, Panorama Maker Pro - Photo and video stitch plus media manager
- eyeon, Fusion® - Visual effects and compositing tool
- HP Labs, "Every Page Is Different" raster image processing and giga-pixel real-time imaging for HP large-format, commercial and industrial printing solutions
- Viewdle, Uploader® - Facial recognition software for photography formats
- Viewdle, Video SDK - Facial recognition software kit for video development
Video Transcode Software
- ArcSoft, MediaConverter - Multimedia file converter
- Rovi, MainConcept® Transcoding Platform - Professional transcoding applications
- Rovi, MainConcept® H.264/AVC OpenCL - Encoding Software Development Kit
Engineering Simulation Software
- Altair Engineering, HyperWorks RADIOSS - Finite element analysis (FEA) solver for linear and non-linear simulations
- Dassault Systemes, PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) - Simulation and CAD software
- DEM Solutions, EDEM - Discrete element modeling software solutions for particle flow simulation
- ESI Group, PAM-CRASH and PAM-STAMP 2G solvers - Digital simulation software for prototyping and manufacturing processes
- MSC Software, MSC Nastran - General purpose finite element analysis solution
- OPTIS, RTLab and VRLab - Real-time ray-tracing software solutions
A sampling of these applications will be demonstrated in the Experience Zone at the AMD Fusion Developer Summit to take place June 13-16 in Bellevue, Washington. Summit participants will be able to engage in interactive sessions and hands-on labs to deepen their knowledge of advanced CPU and GPU programmability, and gain a better understanding of how software applications can take full advantage of the parallel processing power of APUs, bringing supercomputer-like performance to everyday computing tasks.
- View five-part OpenCL training video series on YouTube
- Visit AMD Developer Central
- Register to attend the AMD Fusion Developer Summit
- Follow AMD updates on Twitter at @AMDSoftware
- Learn more about AMD Fusion Accelerated Processing Units (APUs)
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
OpenCL and the OpenCL logo are trademarks of Apple, Inc. used by permission by Khronos.
Contact: Jo Albers AMD Public Relations (512) 602-3526 Email Contact