The world's #1 traffic provider showcases TPEG-format traffic services; Emerging standard format promises to deliver more for lessLYON, France, June 6, 2011 — (PRNewswire) — (ITS Congress) NAVTEQ, the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data enabling navigation, location-based services and mobile advertising around the world, today previewed its industry-leading traffic services in the TPEG standard format.
Short for Transport Protocol Experts Group, TPEG is a family of protocols that promise to significantly reduce costs of delivering traffic and other dynamic content to cars and mobile devices. The emerging standard essentially delivers more data—as well as potentially more functional and flexible-to-use data—while greatly reducing file sizes and data delivery costs. Compact http-based data payloads can be delivered via 3G, HD and XML distribution formats, as well as other broadcast and connected communications methods.
NAVTEQ's implementation supports cost-saving compressed data delivery, delta updates and proximity-specific content so users only receive and pay for the data that's relevant to them. TPEG-based traffic services provide:
- User authentication
- Session management to monitor traffic and delivering changes only (delta updates)
- Radius search capabilities to cost-efficiently deliver only the data that is relevant to the user's proximity
- Zip file delivery – file compression for reduced bandwidth
- Hybrid delivery – HD when available and TPEG delivered over http when not in an HD coverage area
TPEG was developed over the last decade within the TPEG Forum and is ISO/CEN certified. General benefits include:
- One-time implementation and easier maintenance of dynamic content streams across a customer's portfolio
- Greater road coverage than TMC-confined traffic collection
- Better optimized for the delivery of extra content, including forecast traffic conditions
- Richer set of attribution to help characterize the nature of specific incidents—which can impact traffic accuracy and key driver information such as Estimated Time of Arrival
The world's #1 traffic source, NAVTEQ provides superbly accurate traffic services to more people in more countries than any other provider. Rooted in the world's most diverse data collection network, NAVTEQ traffic services are based on one of the world's largest compilations of commercial and consumer probe data, the world's largest fixed proprietary sensor network, as well as billions of historic records and government-collected event-based data. In February 2011, TUV Rheinland awarded NAVTEQ Traffic™ and NAVTEQ Traffic Pro® services in Germany its highest seal of approval for accurately capturing 95% of congestion where and when it happens.
NAVTEQ is the leading global provider of location content in the form of maps, traffic and places data that enables navigation, location-based services and mobile advertising around the world. NAVTEQ supplies precise, comprehensive location content to power automotive navigation systems, portable and wireless devices, Internet-based mapping applications and government and business solutions. The Chicago-based company was founded in 1985 and has more than 5,600 employees located in 213 offices in 50 countries.
For more information on NAVTEQ, please visit http://corporate.navteq.com . This NAVTEQ press release and other news is available at http://press.navteq.com. Join NAVTEQ on Facebook at facebook.com/ NAVTEQCompany and Twitter at @NAVTEQ.
NAVTEQ, NAVTEQ Traffic and Traffic Pro are trademarks in the U.S. and other countries. All rights reserved.
Kim Isele of NAVTEQ
Email Contact for NAVTEQ