AMSTERDAM — (BUSINESS WIRE) — September 28, 2010 — TomTom (AEX:TOM2), the world’s leading provider of location and navigation solutions, today announces the latest release of MultiNet®, its most powerful digital map database. The company’s navigable map products cover more than 32 million kilometers (20 million miles) across 102 countries and territories.
Today’s release includes over 2.8 million updates contributed by consumers and quality-verified by TomTom; it also demonstrates TomTom’s first use of crowd-sourced data in Latin America.
“TomTom continues to deliver significant advancements in location content and coverage through our powerful combination of proprietary map-making processes and social-media technologies,” said Maarten van Gool, Managing Director of Licensing at TomTom. “With every map release reflecting innovative updates from crowd-sourcing techniques, TomTom is focused on delivering the highest quality map products for our partners and expanding our offerings in growing markets such as APAC and Latin America.”
The new database release includes the following verified updates based on crowd-sourced data:
- 350,000 km (217,000 miles) of high-precision gradient data in the U.S. for use in ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) applications and solutions;
- 70,000 km (42,000 miles) of newly validated and precisely realigned highways across Europe;
- Nearly 10,000 street name updates across France, Spain and the UK.
Other highlights are:
- The first release of MultiNet® Chile, covering the country’s complete street network;
- More than 100,000 km (62,000 miles) of expanded road coverage across India;
- Fully-attributed street network coverage in San Paolo and the central areas of Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires;
- TomTom’s first release of off-road content, available in Angola, Ghana, Lesotho, Namibia and South Africa. This topographic content enables off-road navigation in a region where activities such as safaris and nature expedition are popular;
- More than 40,000 km (25,000 miles) of additional speed restrictions in the U.S. derived from the company’s proprietary Mobile Mapping technologies
- More than nine million additional address points in the U.S.
About TomTom N.V.
TomTom N.V. (AEX: TOM2) is the world’s leading provider of location and navigation solutions. Headquartered in the Netherlands it employs over 3000 employees worldwide. Over 45 million people daily use its solutions, be it in the form of dedicated portable navigation devices (PNDs), in-dash car systems or tracking and tracing solutions for fleet management. In addition, hundreds of millions of people use TomTom’s digital maps on the internet or mobile phone. In 2009, TomTom reported €1.5 billion in revenues and a €340 million net cash flow from operating activities. More information about TomTom can be found on www.TomTom.com.
Sandra Van Hauwaert
Phone: +32 497 25 18 16
For Investor Relations
+31 20 7 574994
For Corporate Communications:
+31 20 7 575078