Affordable embedded video communications and camera development kits offer HD video connectivity via intelligent encoding for a variety of communications applicationsHOUSTON, April 21 — (PRNewswire) — Meeting the increased demand for advanced video communications at a reasonable cost, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) introduces two new embedded video camera and video communications development kits. Each kit is used in its own unique set of applications. Both embedded video development kits offer interactive HD video communications for improved image quality and intelligent video encoding. The embedded development kits also provide up to a 5 times reduction in encoding bit rate for improved video quality and network bandwidth by leveraging Smart Codec Technology on TI's latest DaVinci video processor – the TMS320DM368.
The embedded USB camera development kit (DM368EUCDK) is intended for video camera applications that already have a host processor for video decoding such as set-top boxes, digital signage and kiosks. It integrates high definition (HD) H.264 encoding at 1080p at 30 frames per second (fps) and delivers superior video quality.
The embedded communications development kit (DM368ECDK) is perfectly suited for two-way video communications (encoding and decoding) up to 720p at 30 fps, including video conferencing, Web cameras, video blogging and interactive signage applications.
The kits' small form factor allows original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to easily embed a camera with video capabilities directly into their end products for more interactive and convenient video communications. Improved image quality at very low bit rates is made possible through advanced features in TI's fifth generation on-chip image signal processor (ISP) which includes noise filtering, video stabilization, face detection, auto white balance, auto exposure and edge enhancement. By providing this level of integration, small form factor and low price point, it enables numerous innovations such as allowing television OEMs to embed these kits in their end products to deliver HD video communications to consumers. Smart Codec Technology also allows HD video communication in homes with standard Internet access. For more information on these embedded communications and camera development kits for the DM368, visit www.ti.com/edk-dm368-prpod.
DM368EUCDK and DM368ECDK features and benefits:
- Based on the new DM368 DaVinci video processor which provides H.264 encoding and two-way video communications up to 1080p 30 fps supporting high, main and base profiles for superior image quality
- Software implementations on the DM368 ISP offer multiple video processing features to maximize camera image quality and encoding efficiency
- Smart Codec Technology on DM368 delivers a 5 times reduction in encoding bit rate for a given perceptual quality alleviating the burden on network bandwidth and need for costly storage
- Support for UVC/UAC (USB video class/audio class) drivers to meet USB video and audio compliancy standards for streaming
- Small form factor to fit OEM requirements for the embedded market and make camera integration easier and more cost-effective
- Extreme low power development kit powered by USB port only
- Includes demo software and free Linux source code for easy and inexpensive integration into consumer systems:
- 1080p30 H.264 streaming plus secondary stream for preview
- Host application and drivers (Windows/Linux)
Pricing, availability and tools:
The embedded video camera and communications development kits from TI are open for order entry now from Leopard Imaging. The DM368EUCDK is priced at USD $795 and the DM368ECDK is priced at USD $1,195. TI's TMS320DM368 DaVinci video processor is in production now and is available from TI and TI-authorized dealers.
Find out more about TI's DM368EUCDKs, DM368ECDKs and the new TMS320DM368 DaVinci video processor by visiting the links below:
- DM368EUCDK product information - www.ti.com/eucdk-dm368prprod
- DM368ECDK product information - www.ti.com/ecdk-dm368prprod
- DM368 product information - http://www.ti.com/dm368prprod
- Tools and training - www.ti.com/edk-dm368prtools
- Videos - www.ti.com/edk-dm368prvid
- Complementary Analog power solutions - www.ti.com/ecdk-processorpower
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
DaVinci is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
|Texas Instruments Incorporated
Media, Christi Davidson of GolinHarris
Email Contact for Texas Instruments Incorporated
Stephanie Groswirt of Texas Instruments
Phone: +1-214-567-5055, s- Email Contact (Please do not publish these numbers or e-mail addresses.)