HOUSTON (June 30, 2009) — Medical electronics manufacturers are looking to speed up new equipment designs to meet healthcare providers’ increasing need for the most advanced devices that offer sophisticated features in a battery-powered, portable design. To accelerate and simplify development of these portable medical devices, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today announced the industry’s first medical development tool set with a complete signal chain and software offering for multiple medical diagnostic and patient monitoring applications. The three medical development kits (MDKs) - based on TI’s TMS320VC5505 digital signal processor (DSP) – can be built by purchasing an analog front-end (AFE) module and a TMS320VC5505 DSP evaluation module (EVM), giving manufacturers a jump start on designing leading-edge electrocardiograms (ECG), digital stethoscopes and pulse oximeter products.
Each kit includes both hardware and software design tools including schematics, sample application code, medical-specific algorithms and collateral that eases the design process and decreases development time for customers by up to eight months. The MDKs are also extremely flexible with the ability to mix-and-match AFEs with multiple processor platforms for maximum software reuse and return on investment. Additionally, the low power technology offered by the C5505, which is supported by TI’s full analog offering, enables diagnostics functionality for portable medical devices, making them smarter and more energy efficient. As a result of TI’s advanced DSP and analog technology, coupled with software specific for medical applications, the MDKs enable doctors and patients to quickly benefit from an end product with longer battery life, better portability and more sophisticated user functionality, such as real-time waveform display and menu options on an LCD screen and audio recording and playback.
The MDKs are for feasibility evaluation by experts in laboratory/development environments only, and not for medical/diagnostic use on patients. For more information visit: ( www.ti.com/c5505mdk-prprod).
Electrocardiogram MDK key features and benefits
- Front-end module with full set of analog circuitry, including the ADS1258 16-channel, 24-bit, low power analog-to-digital converter (ADC), for ECG applications, including defibrillator protection and 4KV isolation
- 12 lead ECG outputs using 10 electrode inputs, improving diagnostic interpretations
- Includes a C5505 DSP EVM for extensive signal processing and medical algorithm implementation, including flexible/configurable filtering, 12 lead computation, QRS detection, leads off detection and real-time ECG waveform and heartbeat rate display on LCD and an external PC
Digital Stethoscope MDK key features and benefits:
- Front-end module with all AFE circuitry, including the TLV320AIC3254 low power and low-voltage stereo audio codec, for digital stethoscope applications
- Three-channel input option, two condenser and one contact mics i/ps with headphone output option
- Three selectable modes for stethoscope operation, allowing the user to hear and focus on sounds of different frequency ranges in order to improve diagnostic accuracy:
Bell mode (20Hz to 220Hz)
Diaphragm mode (50Hz to 600Hz)
Extended range (20Hz to 2000Hz)
- Includes a C5505 DSP EVM for extensive signal processing and volume control, audio storage/playback and real-time acoustic waveform and heartbeat rate display on an LCD and an external PC
Pulse Oximeter MDK key features and benefits:
Pricing, availability and tools:
A complete kit includes one of the front-end modules plus the C5505 EVM. Free access to implementation sample code based on the C5505 platform, plus MDK PC application software and hardware design information, is available with the purchase of any module.
Find out more about TI’s medical portfolio by visiting the links below:
# # #
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments (NYSE: TXN) helps customers solve problems and develop new electronics that make the world smarter, healthier, safer, greener and more fun. A global semiconductor company, TI innovates through design, sales and manufacturing operations in more than 30 countries. For more information, go to www.ti.com.
About medical components from Texas Instruments
TI is helping shape technology to improve the quality and accessibility of medical equipment to revolutionize healthcare in the 21st century and beyond. With its full range of analog and embedded processing products, from building blocks to complete semiconductor solutions, plus systems insight, global support infrastructure, advanced process technology and medical industry involvement, TI is helping make innovative medical electronics more flexible, affordable and accessible. TI’s experience in diverse markets, such as wireless communications, consumer electronics, automotive and aerospace, enables engineers to meet increasing needs for higher speeds, higher precision, lower power and smaller equipment, while maintaining the high standards for quality and reliability that the medical market demands. Fore more information, please visit www.ti.com/medical.
All trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.