More than 31 million people are expected to travel by car during the holiday weekend
Chicago – November 18, 2008 – Traffic.com, a NAVTEQ brand and a leading source of traffic solutions, provides holiday traffic information for drivers on the go this Thanksgiving weekend.
AAA reports that over 31 million people traveled by car over the 2007 Thanksgiving weekend, with more expected this year. While the holidays are a great time to see friends and family, they can be a challenging time to drive. Five of the ten travel days of the year with the most accidents are right around Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s. Traffic.com offers driving tips for the holiday season:
- Get a good night’s sleep before your trip (at least 8 hours).
- Drive long trips with a passenger who stays awake to talk to the driver.
- Schedule regular stops, every 100 miles or two hours.
- Avoid alcohol and medications that may impair performance.
- If you are feeling drowsy, pull off into a safe area and take a brief nap.
- Walk around or do a few exercises to get rid of grogginess.
- Rely on Traffic.com for the most up-to-date traffic information
1. Call 1-866-MY-TRAFC (1-866-698-7232), a free automated voice hotline for speed dial access to roadway updates.
2. Connect to http://mobi.traffic.com, a free wireless Web site for mobile traffic hotspot reports.
3. Text your CITY CODE (NY, CHIC, PHL, LA, etc.) to TRAFC (87232) to get instant traffic updates for the worst city area delays. Traffic.com city codes can be found at http://help.traffic.com/city-codes-used-for-sms.
“Happy holidays begin with easy journeys,” says Alex Wiegand, vice president, NAVTEQ. “If Traffic.com is helpful for every day commuters, it’s indispensable for holiday travel.”
NAVTEQ is a leading provider of comprehensive digital map information for automotive navigation systems, mobile navigation devices, Internet-based mapping applications, and government and business solutions. NAVTEQ creates the digital maps and map content that power navigation and location-based services solutions around the world. The Chicago-based company was founded in 1985 and has more than 3,800 employees located in 194 offices and in 42 countries.
E-mail: Email Contact.