Designing systems that contain multiple interconnected boards (connectors and/or cables) has traditionally been done with separate uncoupled board and cabling projects held together by desktop office tools such as spreadsheets for intra-board connectivity, text files for system element parameters and drawing applications to show block level system structure and hierarchy. The result is poor collaboration between cross-domain design teams; costly intra-system connectivity errors; extensive time-consuming manual validation steps; and restrictive system change rules that prohibit system design optimization. This lack of holistic multi-board system design further impacts the ability to design networks of interconnect electronic systems, commonly known as system-of-systems that are commonly seen in automotive, space/satellites, industrial automation and data center infrastructure.
When designing a leading-edge, high-performance lithography system, with dozens of multidisciplinary teams working in parallel, we face the challenge of ensuring the consistency and correctness of the entire design to meet our challenging time-to-market goals," said Jan van Vlerken, ASML Senior Director of Electronics Development. "Using Mentor's Xpedition multi-board systems design solution we can design connectivity from the conceptual level down to PCB layout in a single design flow in shorter time, with fewer re-spins, and improved consistency of drawings.
The new Xpedition multi-board systems design flow improves design team productivity and reduces development cost by replacing inefficient paper and manual processes with an automated, fully integrated, collaborative workflow. The automated synchronization between all levels of abstraction and automated connector management will help design teams achieve time-to-market targets. Signal tracing, functional and signal integrity simulation, and design partitioning and re-partitioning while maintaining connectivity content ensures "correct by construction" system design. The new Xpedition flow is a fully parallel collaborative design environment where global teams can work in "real-time," providing companies with the flexibility and intuitive technologies to develop innovative and competitive products.
"The management of electronics connectivity is immensely complex and a key challenge for systems architects today, yet this problem hasn't been adequately addressed previously," stated Laurie Balch, chief analyst, Gary Smith EDA. "Mentor Graphics has a leg-up in the market with its robust solution for multi-board systems development based on its breadth and depth of systems design and analysis technologies."
Xpedition Multi-Board Systems Solution - Key Features
- Single desktop engineering environment for architecting, partitioning, authoring and documenting the logical definition of electronic multi-board systems
- Managed synchronization of multi-board systems board designs enabling interface reduction, removal of manual data handling, data duplication and ECO transfer errors
- Integrated connector management that eliminates connectivity mating errors, from the initial design conception through the entire design cycle, including PCB projects and purchased components by design
- Integrated multi-board system level connectivity verification
- Built-in change management through controlled synchronization between multi-board system boards and cables
- Integrated management of logical cable connectivity into physical representations, including bi-directional collaboration with 3D MCAD
- Collaborative concurrent design environment for engineers and implementation teams assigned to partitioned functions and related boards, while automatically managing data integrity and connectivity
- Integrated library browsing for intuitive system-level part research, selection and management
- Leverage existing architecture IP by importing and embedding Visio data into the system design and by attaching characteristics to system elements
- System data management enables multi-discipline collaboration and facilitates reuse of boards, connectors and cables across the team
The new Xpedition multi-board systems design solution is available today and additional product information can be found on the website: www.mentor.com/xpedition
About Mentor Graphics
Mentor Graphics Corporation (NASDAQ: MENT) is a world leader in electronic hardware and software design solutions, providing products, consulting services and award-winning support for the world's most successful electronics and semiconductor companies. Established in 1981, the company reported revenues for the last fiscal year of approximately $1.18 billion. Corporate headquarters are located at 8005 S.W. Boeckman Road, Wilsonville, Oregon 97070-7777. World Wide Web site: http://www.mentor.com/.
(Mentor Graphics, Mentor and Xpedition are registered trademarks of Mentor Graphics Corporation. All other company or product names are the registered trademarks or trademarks of their respective owners.)
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mentor-graphics-launches-xpedition-multi-board-systems-design-solution-for-seamless-multi-discipline-collaboration-300348908.html
SOURCE Mentor Graphics