The Z240 is the latest update to the world's No. 1 ranked entry-level workstation, the HP Z230.(1) As HP's most affordable workstation, the Z240 is ideal for customers in the video editing, MCAD/AEC, education, public sector and image viewing industries.
"In anticipation of a customer demand for smaller yet powerful workstations, HP created the world's first small form factor workstation, the HP Z200 SFF," said Jim Zafarana, vice president and general manager, Workstations and Thin Clients, HP. "The latest in that line, the HP Z240, not only continues to provide customers a compact, affordable solution packed with the power of a traditional workstation, but it ups the ante for entry-level workstations with increased performance and new innovations."
As the market share-leading workstation vendor, HP has integrated seven new innovations on the HP Z240 Workstations.
1. An integrated M.2 slot (for expansion cards and connectors on both the SFF and tower) frees up a PCIe slot and provides customers more flexibility and expandability to use HP Z Turbo Drives without having to make a tradeoff on additional graphics cards, an additional HP Z Turbo Drive, or other devices like Thunderbolt.
2. Optional dust filters can be added to both the HP Z240 Tower and Z240 SFF to help reduce the ingress of dust in the system. With up to 47 percent reduction in dust(2), this option provides customers in all work environments where dust is an issue -- from under the desk to dusty manufacturing floors -- with added reliability and longevity.
3. Removed the legacy PCI slot, which is used by less than 2 percent of customers today, from the motherboard and designed a plug-in card for effortless installation for customers that still use the legacy slot. Removing the slot from the motherboard allowed HP to reinvest in other product innovations (M.2 slot, dust filter).
4. Despite adding new features to the motherboard, HP engineering was able to reduce the size of the motherboard on the Z240 Tower by 10 percent and simplified the cable layouts inside the systems, continuing to push for more efficient product designs.
5. The Z240 Tower now features integrated front and rear handle ledges to enable every customer to easily move and position their system around the office.
6. HP re-engineered the hard drive cage for the Z240 SFF and engineered a custom air duct around the processor, allowing more efficient air flow, enhanced acoustics and a cleaner layout of internal cables.
7. HP integrated ambient temperature sensors on the motherboard of both systems, and increased control of the system fans to include the power supply, giving even better management of system thermals and acoustics, including the power supply (as compared to previous generations).
Leveraging innovations originally created for the higher-end HP Z Workstations, the HP Z240 offers more performance, greater storage capacity, more IO and greater flexibility of the previous generations while retaining the same form factor. At 57 percent smaller than the tower, the HP Z240 SFF conserves space and maintains workstation performance.
The Z240 features up to 64 GB DDR4 ECC memory -- a 100 percent increase in memory capacity compared to previous generations -- for no compromise capacity, performance and reliability. The expanded memory options allow customers to push the limits of design to create larger, more complex models/designs that require larger memory footprints. It also provides customers with more expandability options.
The HP Z240 Tower and Z240 SFF offer a choice of future Intel® Xeon® processor E3-1200 v5 product families, Intel® Core, or Intel® Pentium processors(3) and two ultra-fast HP Z Turbo Drive G2. The HP Z Turbo Drive allows workstation users to super-charge productivity and creativity of workflows. The Z240 offers a choice of Windows 7, Windows 10(4) or Linux® operating systems.
Pricing and Availability
The HP Z240 SFF and HP Z240 are expected to be available in November. Estimated U.S. pricing starts at $879 for either workstation.
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. With the broadest technology portfolio spanning printing, personal systems, software, services and IT infrastructure, HP delivers solutions for customers' most complex challenges in every region of the world. More information about HP is available at http://www.hp.com.
1. IDC WW WS Historical Tracker 2015Q2 - 08.05.15
2. When compared to the same system without the dust filter.
3. Multi-Core is designed to improve performance of certain software products. Not all customers or software applications will necessarily benefit from use of this technology. Performance and clock frequency will vary depending on application workload and your hardware and software configurations. Intel's numbering is not a measurement of higher performance.
4. Not all features are available in all editions or versions of Windows. Systems may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware, drivers and/or software to take full advantage of Windows functionality. Windows 10 is automatically updated, which is always enabled. ISP fees may apply and additional requirements may apply over time for updates. See http://www.microsoft.com.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If such risks or uncertainties materialize or such assumptions prove incorrect, the results of HP and its consolidated subsidiaries could differ materially from those expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements and assumptions. All statements other than statements of historical fact are statements that could be deemed forward-looking statements, including but not limited to statements of the plans, strategies and objectives of HP for future operations, including the separation transaction; the future performance if Hewlett-Packard Enterprise and HP Inc. if the separation is completed; any statements concerning expected development, performance, market share or competitive performance relating to products and services; any statements regarding anticipated operational and financial results; any statements of expectation or belief; and any statements of assumptions underlying any of the foregoing. Risks, uncertainties and assumptions include the need to address the many challenges facing HP's businesses; the competitive pressures faced by HP's businesses; risks associated with executing HP's strategy, including the planned separation transaction, and plans for future operations and investments; the impact of macroeconomic and geopolitical trends and events; the need to manage third-party suppliers and the distribution of HP's products and services effectively; the protection of HP's intellectual property assets, including intellectual property licensed from third parties; risks associated with HP's international operations; the development and transition of new products and services and the enhancement of existing products and services to meet customer needs and respond to emerging technological trends; the execution and performance of contracts by HP and its suppliers, customers, clients and partners; the hiring and retention of key employees; integration and other risks associated with business combination and investment transactions; the execution, timing and results of restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost and the anticipated benefits of implementing those plans; the execution, timing and results of the separation transaction or restructuring plans, including estimates and assumptions related to the cost (including any possible disruption of HP's business) and the anticipated benefits of implementing the separation transaction and restructuring plans; the resolution of pending investigations, claims and disputes; and other risks that are described in HP's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended October 31, 2015, and HP's other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including HP's Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended January 31, 2015. HP assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements.
© 2015 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice. The only warranties for HP products and services are set forth in the express warranty statements accompanying such products and services. Nothing herein should be construed as constituting an additional warranty. HP shall not be liable for technical or editorial errors or omissions contained herein. Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the US and/or other countries. Intel, Celeron, Core, Pentium, Thunderbolt and Xeon are trademarks of Intel Corporation in the US and/or other countries. Linux® is the registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in the U.S. and other countries.