3D printing pioneer introduces smarter, more powerful desktop machine for engineers, designers and creators
SOMERVILLE, Mass. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — September 22, 2015 — Formlabs, the designer and manufacturer of powerful and accessible 3D printing systems, today announced the launch of Form 2, the company’s second-generation high-resolution, desktop stereolithography (SLA) 3D printer. The Form 2 brings bigger prints, smarter components, connected capabilities, and an intuitive printing experience to professionals.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150922005220/en/
Form 2 Desktop SLA 3D printer (Photo: Business Wire)
“Through building the Form 1 and Form 1+ we’ve learned that professional engineers, designers and creators need access to powerful, easy-to use systems,” said Max Lobovsky, co-founder of Formlabs. “We believe that this is the ‘next wave’ of the 3D printing industry: high resolution output with a simple user experience packaged in a desktop footprint. In many ways, 3D printing technology is following a similar path to the desktop computer. It started with mainframes, was adopted by the hobbyist and then evolved into the powerful desktop machines everyone uses today. The Form 2 represents the next wave of 3D printing technology.”
Form 2 raises the industry standard for reliable prints, delivers sophisticated technology with an intuitive interface and introduces new features aimed at team collaboration, simpler workflows and time savings.
- Bigger prints: Over 40% bigger build volume from its predecessor the Form 1+.
- More powerful laser: 50% more powerful laser yielding better print resolution.
- New print process: A new sliding peel mechanism, wiper and heated resin tank make it possible to print large, solid parts with intricate details.
- Automated resin system: New resin cartridges will automatically refill the resin tank during the printing process.
- 1-click print: An update to Formlabs’ PreForm Software, this feature will prepare prints and simplify the printing process.
- Connected capabilities: The Form 2 offers wireless printing via Wi-Fi, creating custom notifications and mobile alerts. The new dashboard enables print progress to be monitored across multiple printers on desktop, mobile or tablet.
- Touchscreen display: Full-color touchscreen for managing print queues and viewing print status
Professionals worldwide have been using Formlabs for a host of ambitions – from the digital artist creating a film made entirely of 3D-printed parts, to the engineer designing surgical prototypes to enable cleaner suturing methods, to researchers at Fortune 500 companies, to the small businesses printing customized parts, to the many entrepreneurs 3D printing prototypes.
The Form 2 is available for purchase on September 22 for $3,499 and includes Formlabs’ PreForm software, one litre of resin for printing and a finish kit for post-processing the parts.
To purchase, visit: formlabs.com
Formlabs designs and manufactures powerful and accessible 3D printing systems for engineers, designers, and artists. Their flagship product, the Form 1+ 3D Printer, uses stereolithography (SLA) to create high-resolution physical objects from digital designs. Founded in 2012 by a team of engineers and designers from the MIT Media Lab and Center for Bits and Atoms, Formlabs launched its first printer with a record-breaking $2.8 million Kickstarter campaign. Today the company has grown to over 100 employees, expanded sales and operations from the US into the EU, Australia and Asia, and raised nearly $20 million in venture capital. With its powerful, intuitive, and affordable machines, Formlabs is establishing a new benchmark in professional desktop 3D printing. Formlabs also develops its own suite of high-performance materials for 3D printing, as well as best-in-class 3D-printing software.