3D Modelling Usage Gap between AEC and Manufacturing is Closing Fast but Simulation Usage Gap is Only Closing to 50%
May 12, 2015 -- The IT, software and telecom industry research specialist, The
Business Advantage Group recently announced the results of its annual Worldwide CAD Trends 2015 Survey , and this week released more details specific to two of the top trends, 3D Modelling and Simulation.
“3D Modelling is the most important trend with year–on-year (2014 to 2015) increases in Importance from 7.5 to 8.5 (mean score out of 10), in Awareness from 80% to 88%, and in Usage from 64% to 77%. Importance, Awareness and Usage are high across all industry sectors, regions and countries. Future predicted growth potential is limited because the majority of relevant professionals are already using 3D modelling - 5% growth is expected this year, 8% over the next 3-5 years. This average conceals stronger growth potential in AEC compared to Manufacturing (see 3D Modelling by Key Sectors growth chart). The AEC sector is closing the 3D Modelling usage gap on the Manufacturing sector with predicted growth up to 4 times higher than Manufacturing, over the next year and 3-5 years,” said Chris Turner, CEO/Managing Director of Business Advantage.
“Simulation is the third most important trend again this year and shows year-on-year increase in Importance, from 6.5 to 6.7 (mean score), in Awareness, from 51% to 60%, and in Usage, from 31% to 40%. Simulation is a growth area in today’s market but the Manufacturing sector will continue to dominate usage of it.”
“Overall usage of CAE Simulation is predicted to rise by 23% (40% to 49%) in the next 3-5 years but in AEC usage is predicted to grow by 58% (from 19% to 30%) in the next 3-5 years. Today, based on those using or planning to use Simulation, usage is mostly for design optimization (70%), design validation (63%) or mechanical simulation (62%). The leading drivers for greater use of Simulation software are:
- Ease of use for less experienced designers (52%)
- Support and guidance are generally expected as part of the package (47%)
- Simulation software cost reduction by half (33%).”
Conclusions and recommendations for software vendors:
- 3D Modelling remains the most important trend in the CAD Trends Survey, but even in 5 years’ time 17% of CAD users don’t anticipate using it. This may be a testament to the longevity of 2D design, and point to the need for CAD software suppliers to continue to improve their 2D tools for a sizable portion of users who don’t plan to use 3D.
- For Simulation, even in 3-5 years, only about half of CAD users expect to be using it. If CAE Simulation vendors want to increase usage of these tools, improved ease of use and lower cost are key to greater growth. Perhaps Cloud Computing can help achieve both with computing power scalability and lower occasional use costs? Comparing Manufacturing and AEC, even in 5 years’ time, Manufacturing is predicted to have 60% usage while AEC forecasts achieving only half of that usage level. This may indicate opportunity for more applicable simulation tools in the AEC space.
The annually published Worldwide CAD Trends Survey report is a high level summary of insights gained from the data gathered in the annual CAD Trends survey. If you are interested in more detailed analyses or insights, such as information on a specific trend by region, industry or software vendor, please contact us.
Notes for Editors
For press and media enquiries, please contact:
UK & EMEA: Chris Turner, CEO/Managing Director, Email: Email Contact or by phone on +44 (0) 01689 873636
Americas & APAC: Bill Gordon,Email: Email Contact or by phone on +1 650 558 8870
Business Advantage: Formed in 1992, The Business Advantage Group is a B2B market research, business development and marketing consulting practice operating in the global IT, Digital Communication and Telecommunications sectors. Their team of specialist researchers and consultants has undertaken over 1,200 B2B market research and consulting projects on a worldwide basis and has completed assignments for information and communications technology clients in over 100 countries, spanning five continents.
Business Advantage provides a wide range of marketing services to many leading international companies, including 3M, Autodesk, Canon, Dell, HP, Infor, IBM, Intel, Lexmark, Microsoft, Oracle, SAP, Sony, Sophos, Xerox and many others.
Follow Business Advantage:
All brand names, product names, or trademarks belong to their respective holders