New MSP430™ FRAM microcontrollers and LaunchPad help developers integrate non-volatile FRAM memory and LCD into a broader range of applicationsDALLAS, Oct. 7, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today announced the lowest-power MCUs with an on-chip LCD controller within a new family of ultra-low-power MSP430™ microcontrollers (MCUs) and a new low-cost LaunchPad rapid prototyping kit that provide all the advantages of non-volatile FRAM in a small memory footprint. The new MSP430FR4x/FR2x MCUs include 60 capacitive-touch-enabled general-purpose input/output (GPIO) pins so developers can create flexible ultra-low-power products for home automation systems, household appliances, remote controls, energy harvesting applications and many more.
The MSP430FR4x series rounds out TI's portfolio of ultra-low-power MCUs with integrated LCD support on-chip. The new MCU featured on the MSP-EXP430FR4133 LaunchPad kit includes a segmented LCD driver with software-configurable LCD pins to enable quick and easy hardware layout and an integrated charge pump that allows the LCD contrast level to be maintained even when the MCU is in low-power modes. The LCD controller can drive up to 256 segments to support large displays used in panel meters and portable health and fitness equipment. TI's continued focus on ultra-low-power consumption enabled the development of the MSP430FR4x devices, which are the lowest-power MCUs with LCD in the industry. The MSP430FR4133 LaunchPad is immediately available so developers can jump start LCD-based designs quickly.
Explore the unique ultra-low-power capabilities of non-volatile FRAM-based MCUs.
FRAM MCUs offer unbeatable write speeds, combined with 10 billion times more write- cycles than traditional non-volatile memory solutions – exponentially increasing the amount of data that can be collected, outlasting the product lifetime itself. FRAM simplifies code development because it does not require pre-erasure of segments and can be accessed at the bit-level, enabling constant on-the-fly data logging with zero extra power. Wireless firmware updates are less complex, faster and lower energy. FRAM can also reduce manufacturing costs by decreasing programming times on an assembly line.
"The unique flexibility of TI's FRAM MCUs allowed us to partition between RAM-type memory and program memory anywhere within the FRAM and create a unique, low-cost e-ink display solution within a compact footprint," said Don Powrie, CEO of DLP Design. "Normally, in order to get this amount of RAM, we would require a much larger MCU, thereby driving up the overall product cost."
Features and benefits of TI's MSP430FR4x/FR2x FRAM MCUs:
- The new 16 KB non-volatile FRAM memory families expand TI's code-compatible FRAM portfolio so developers have scalable memory options from 16 KB up to 128 KB.
- Up to 60 GPIO pins make design easier and reduce system complexity and board space.
- The industry's lowest-power consumption of 126 uA/MHz (typical) and less than 1 uA standby with LCD powered on.
- Low-cost MSP430FR4133-based LaunchPad rapid prototyping evaluation kit enables designers to quickly and easily evaluate non-volatile FRAM memory, EnergyTrace™ technology and integrated LCD.
- Get intelligent thermostat designs started quicker with a comprehensive TI Design based on MSP430FR4x MCUs that leverages the LCD controller and overall flexibility of the device to speed time-to-market.
- Integration includes two timers, a 10-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), real-time clock (RTC) counter and SPI and I2C communications to reduce system cost and product size.
- Debug energy in real-time with TI's EnergyTrace technology that enables developers to analyze power consumption from nA to mA.
- Integrate EEPROM to design secure products with faster write times, lower power and higher memory reliability.
- Extensive resources for developers include detailed migration guides and application notes to ease the migration from existing MCUs to MSP430FR4x/FR2x MCUs.
- Available in 48- to 64-pin devices in LQFP and TSSOP package options.
Pricing and availability
The MSP-EXP430FR4133 LaunchPad is immediately available for purchase from TI's eStore or authorized distributors for $13.99. MSP430FR4x MCUs with LCD support are available for immediate sampling. Production quantities of MSP430FR4x/FR2x families will be available in November starting at $1.65.
Learn more about TI's ultra-low power MSP430 FRAM MCUs
- Discover the benefits of TI's MSP430 FRAM MCUs.
- Learn about the ultra-low power MSP430 MCU platform.
- The Official MSP430 Blog on TI E2E.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the MSP430 forum on the TI E2E™ Community.
- Launch Your Design with TI MCUs: www.ti.com/launchyourdesign
- Follow TI MCUs on Facebook: www.ti.com/mcufb
Innovation is at the core of TI MCUs
Beginning with the foundation of leading process technology and adding unique system architecture, intellectual property and real-world system expertise, TI continues its 20+ years of MCU innovation with low-power and performance MCUs. With unique products for ultra-low power, low-power performance and security communications, to real-time control, control and automation, and safety, designers can accelerate time to market with TI's ecosystem of tools, software, wireless connectivity solutions, extensive Design Network offerings and technical support.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
MSP430, EnergyTrace, SimpleLink and TI E2E are trademarks of Texas Instruments Incorporated. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners. DLP Design, Inc. is not associated with DLP® products of Texas Instruments.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
Mark Welsh, Golin, (972) 341-2513
Randi Williams, Texas Instruments, (214) 567-4640
Email Contact (Please do not publish these numbers or email addresses.)