Reference design simplifies power design for Thunderbolt solutionsDALLAS, July 24, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today expanded its industry-leading Thunderbolt™ portfolio with the TPS65980 DC/DC switching regulator, the first fully integrated power solution for bus-powered Thunderbolt™ applications. The TPS65980 is the centerpiece of TI's certified Thunderbolt™ single port peripheral reference design, simplifying the power chain and speeding the design of bus-powered applications, such as hard drives, solid state drives and audio and video solutions. For more information or to order samples and an evaluation module, visit www.ti.com/tps65980-pr-en.
In addition to the TPS65980 regulator, TI offers a full line of power management, switches, multiplexers and interface solutions for Thunderbolt applications. For hosts and peripherals, the TPS22981 power mux, TPS22920L load switch and the LM3481 boost converter facilitate the delivery and receipt of power to both the active cable and the connected device. The HD3SS0001 video switch connects directly to the Thunderbolt controller switching the Thunderbolt UART transmit/receive pair and DisplayPort Main Link. In cable solutions, the TPS22986 power mulitplexer automatically selects the proper 3.3-V supply to provide power to the active cable circuitry.
Thunderbolt technology has emerged as the fastest way to transfer data between a PC and peripheral and display devices. At 10 Gbps full-duplex bandwidth per channel, it merges high-speed data (PCI Express) and display (DisplayPort) onto a single protocol. Thunderbolt 2 combines both channels into a single 20-Gbps full-duplex channel, which enables transmission of uncompressed high-bandwidth data, such as 4K video.
Key features and benefits of the TPS65980:
- Highest level of integration: Integrates all the power management functions to meet power requirements for a Thunderbolt bus-powered device, reducing the total BOM cost by 50 percent and solution size by 40 percent compared to discrete solutions.
- Certified for Thunderbolt: Reduces design time, because the TPS65980 is the only solution recommended and approved for Thunderbolt bus-powered solutions.
- High-output current: Supplies up to 3.5 A of output current, allowing bus-powered endpoint devices up to 10 W at over 90 percent efficiency. Automatic thermal shut-off and power sequencing provide additional flexibility in design.
Tools to aid in design
TI offers a range of support tools for the Thunderbolt product line to speed time to market. The TI Designs Thunderbolt™ single port peripheral reference design is tested and certified for bus and self-powered peripherals to help designers get to market quickly. EVMs are also available for each device in the Thunderbolt portfolio, including the TPS65980EVM, providing an easy way to evaluate device performance and operating characteristics.
Availability, packaging and pricing
Learn more about TI's Thunderbolt portfolio:
- Download the complete TI Thunderbolt guide.
- Order samples, request EVMs and download datasheets for the Thunderbolt products.
- Read How Thunderbolt™ 2 enables 4k video resolution.
- Find out What you should know about Thunderbolt™.
- Check out TI's broad DC/DC portfolio.
- Watch a video on TI's complete Thunderbolt portfolio enabling quick design from host to peripheral.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at www.ti.com.
All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments
Lindsey Starnes, Texas Instruments, 214-480-6500
Email Contact Vicky Smithee, GolinHarris, 972-341-2537
Email Contact (Please do not publish these numbers or e-mail addresses.)