Accelerates Fiber-to-the-Home Deployments in ChinaLAS VEGAS, Jan. 10, 2013 — (PRNewswire) — 2013 International CES --
- Supports China Telecom's E8C specification, required for all GPON deployments in China
- Features Broadcom's integrated and proven carrier-grade software for turnkey FTTH solution
- Interoperates with Optical Line Terminals (OLTs) for seamless carrier and system vendor migration
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a highly integrated gigabit passive optical network (GPON) Home Gateway Unit (HGU) to fuel a rapid transition to fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) and higher bandwidth services in China. Learn how Broadcom innovation is enabling the Connected Life at home, at work, and on-the-go at Broadcom@CES.
"The Chinese market continues to grow and is poised to be a leading GPON region worldwide," said Mr. Li Changchun, Fiberhome R&D General Manager, Service & CPE Business Unit. "With E8C-optimized technology, Broadcom's industry proven and highly integrated solutions deliver the performance, price and power requirements demanded by the market."
As Chinese citizens migrate to urban areas, Broadcom's technology accelerates cost-effective GPON deployment for system vendors and carriers. The new BCM68571 GPON home gateway system-on-a-chip (SoC) extends Broadcom's family of BCM685xx GPON products for China and features field-proven, carrier-grade residential gateway software and support for China Telecom's E8C specification.
"Broadcom's BCM68571/68531 turnkey solution supports our need to develop and deploy quickly, which is especially critical as China's demand for GPON technology continues to increase," said Mr. CL Chang, MitraStar Technology Corporation President. "With interoperability at the heart of Broadcom's integrated solutions, we are seamlessly meeting customer demands and building the foundation for higher bandwidth services such as IPTV, HDTV and streaming video."
- Broadcom's solution features line rate packet processing, a quad port FE switch, PCI Express, USB 2.0 and SIM card controller.
- Pin compatibility with the Broadcom BCM68570 GPON processor protects software and hardware investments of system vendors and carriers, and further allows rapid deployment in other emerging global markets.
- Total GPON ports in China are expected to grow from 11.2 million in CY12 to 20 million in CY16.*
- China Telecom is committed to transitioning FTTx deployments to GPON, spending $715 million on GPON equipment in 2011 alone.1
- China is emerging as a dominant region for FTTH deployments, fueled by 300 million Chinese citizens anticipated to migrate to urban areas over the next 15 years.1
"Broadcom's commitment to optimized solutions for the China market gives carriers and system vendors the means to accelerate the transition to FTTH with power, performance and interfaces ideal for E8C-based deployments," said Greg Fischer, Broadcom's Vice President and General Manager, Broadband Carrier Access. "Further integration of field-proven software ensures the fastest path to a new class of service – bringing IPTV, gaming, home automation and more to China's broad customer base."
The BCM68571 is currently shipping and will be demonstrated at Broadcom's Booth at 2013 CES International.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
1 Infonetics August 2012
Public Relations Manager
Senior Director, Investor Relations