There has been a recent recognition among on-line and mobile sites that, while services like Google Maps are very good, there are also numerous compromises that come with using these generic platforms. Increasingly, both large and small developers are looking for Map API alternatives that provide them with:
- The ability to customize and differentiate their location services
- Provide access to more advanced functions than offered by Google Maps' API
- Their own branding, not that of a potential competitor
- Control over the way their content is used
- The ability to monetize the service themselves as opposed to being a publisher for others
Location services are the core enablers that unlock hyper-local information and context for mobile users. Because of the tremendous value of these services, third party platforms, such as Google, have invested billions of dollars and millions of man-years in developing these services, embedding them in their operating systems and then extending them to application developers. However this requires that those companies share or in some cases, lose control of the value that comes from this location function.
"In the last six months, we have seen a strong market trend towards location services that can be tuned and targeted wholly to a company sites' brand, content and business model. This has resulted in many hundreds of new developers signing up to our DevZone," said J. Kim Fennell, President and CEO of deCarta. "Our new API makes it that much easier for these developers to build and deploy the creative location services that they want."
- Write Once, Run Anywhere
- Cross-device API that will allow for building applications that run seamlessly on tablets, smartphones and desktop devices
- Dramatic savings in development costs as customers don't need to dedicate separate teams to build mobile versions of their desktop apps.
- Control The Look & Feel Of Your Map Experience
- The flexible UI library is highly customizable and allows customers to design applications that reflect their visual style of choice and brand
- Customers can also choose from 5 preset map styles or build their own map style
- Source Code Included with API
- Customers can download the complete source code for the API from the deCarta DevZone, allowing them to get under the hood and customize and extend the API to a fuller extent than otherwise found in the industry.
- Detailed documentation and live examples are available with source code to enable developers to quickly "Snap Together" and build a complete LBS application, thereby significantly shortening development time.
- Highly Scalable
- deCarta's platform supports some of largest LBS services in the world
- Cloud based service or available as a self-hosted solution
- Native-like User Experience
- Hardware accelerated graphics, geo-location API, CSS3, Media-Queries, Local Storage
- Fleet/MRM market specific features
- Pin Clustering
- Draggable Shapes
- Customizable Polygons
- Exclusion Zones
- Highly Configurable Routing
deCarta is the leading independent geospatial software platform that has enabled some of the industry's most successful Location-Based Services (LBS) applications. deCarta provides a highly customizable platform that enables application developers to create world class LBS apps while at the same time protect their own brand and unique content and also maximize monetization for themselves. deCarta's customers and technology partners include Samsung, Inrix, FullPower MotionX GPS Drive, Appello, T-Mobile, Ford, General Motors OnStar, Cybit, NetworkFleet, Teletrac, MapIT, eMapgo, Hotels.com, Local Matters, Loopt, Nokia/NAVTEQ, Sony-Ericsson, TCS, Opera Software, Optus, Telstra/Sensis, TomTom, Verizon, WHERE/eBay. deCarta is privately held and headquartered in San Jose, California with international offices in Germany, and China. www.decarta.com.
For more information:
SOURCE deCarta, Inc.