$7 billion industry poised for growth after long recession
TIBURON, Calif. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — December 1, 2011 — Today, Jon Peddie Research (JPR), the industry's research and consulting firm for graphics and multimedia, announced the availability of the Worldwide CAD Market Report 2012.
The CAD market, one of the largest and most established software markets is dynamic and growing in new directions.
- The CAD Market was worth approximately $5 billion in 2009. It reached $6.4 in 2010 and $7 billion in 2011.
- JPR put the total number of CAD users at 18.5 in 2010 and we expect the community increase to 19 million in 2011.
- The world is getting rounder in terms of CAD use. CAD revenues are split 37% for the Americas, 38% for EMEA, 21% for Asia, and 4% for ROW.
There are several important trends affecting the growth of the market including:
- Worldwide all markets slowed down during the economic recession of 2008-2009 but the engines are starting up again. Asia and India barely slowed and new markets are joining them including Latin America, Africa, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East.
- In the near term JPR sees slowed growth in several markets as economic uncertainty in the U.S. and Europe bedevil the recovery. The hardest hit market will be AEC (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction).
- New platforms and new distribution models will lead the market. CAD has long been a high-value product and CAD companies have jealously protected their high margins. The new opportunities opened up by cloud computing, apps, and tablets give CAD companies an opening to “have it all,” high volume, low cost consumer-ish apps along with new ways to offer boutique services to valued subscription customers.
- Leaner, more efficient companies are ready to rebuild after the recession years. The companies are looking at ways to retool their businesses for more efficiency.
The CAD report includes market share data among the major CAD vendors, it provides geographic data, and takes a closer look at the larger sub-segments: MCAD, AEC, Process & Power, and GIS. Also included in the report are market forecasts to 2016 and a discussion of the trends that have influenced our forecast. As a bonus, companies that buy the CAD report will have access to online company profiles.
JPR’s 2012 CAD report provides an historical perspective and a look at the future. While the market has seen plenty of commoditization, there are new entrants, and broad opportunity for specialized products.
Analyst Kathleen Maher notes that “Today, the CAD industry is more dynamic than ever. It is involved in every aspect of design, build, construct, and manufacture. Increasingly, CAD is becoming part of a visually connected world that can be understood and better managed. There are opportunities in new platforms, new technologies, and new customers in emerging economies. It’s a very good time for the industry.”
Pricing and Availability
This 80-page report includes 50 figures and tables that describe the CAD market. It is the latest publication in JPR’s popular software series, which includes studies in the Digital Content Creation markets. The report is available now in electronic editions, and can be purchased for $5,000 at our online store ( http://bit.ly/veAIiP ) or by calling 415/435-9368 or visit the Jon Peddie Research website at www.jonpeddie.com. Subscribers to JPR’s TechWatch bi-weekly report are entitled to a 10% discount.
About Jon Peddie Research
Jon Peddie Research is a technically oriented multimedia and graphics research and consulting firm. Based in Tiburon, California, JPR provides consulting, research, and other specialized services to technology companies in a variety of fields including graphics development, multimedia for professional applications and consumer electronics, high-end computing, and Internet-access product development. Jon Peddie's Market Watch is a quarterly report focused on the market activity of PC graphics controllers for notebook and desktop computing.
View all JPR press releases http://www.jonpeddie.com/about/press/index.shtml
A chart showing CAD market forecast is available on request.