Almost all new functionality in the latest release of the Javelin ERP/MRP advanced manufacturing software for production control and management has been specifically requested by users.
A flexible, scalable and intelligent production planning and control system from Planit Software, Javelin offers advanced functionality and value in the key areas of manufacturing and assembly, including costing and quotations, MRP, shop floor data capture and much more.
General Manager Paul Holmes says the latest release, 2012r1, contains a lot of new functionality that has been requested by customers. “It’s Javelin listening to what our customers tell us they want in the software to help them become even more efficient.
“From time to time we’re able to take certain customer requests and bespoke their system. Then, if it’s deemed appropriate for more widespread use, we can take that functionality and put it in the next general release as standard. Previous releases have mainly had a split of around 60:40 between functionality we have instigated ourselves, and from users. But this time almost all of it has come from customers.”
New functionality includes:
- Within real time data capture jobs can be suspended but automatically restarted allowing users to be diverted from tasks but resume later with minimum interfacing time.
- Within the same functionality any product produced as part of the set up procedure can now be recorded directly, attributed to the setup.
- Greater control over Consignment Stores has been introduced allowing them to be assigned to a customer and affording similar stock control facilities to normal stores.
- Parts can be marked “Obsolete” excluding them from most lists, processes and enquiries.
- Reject and Scrap booking of work in progress has been extended to allow multiple faults to be recorded and facilitate re-processing of rejected items within the same works order or as a separate process.
- Items normally bought specifically on a contract by contract basis can now be purchased in advance of the contract and held for re-assignment when required, either manually or via MRP.
With aerospace still predominantly the main business sector using Javelin, a number of industry-specific controls are written into the software. However, Paul Holmes says many other sectors, in particular automotive, are making full use of those items of functionality. “There is considerable crossover in the needs of numerous manufacturing industries regarding controls such as traceability. Javelin gives customers complete control over stock, and an up-to-date picture, minute-by-minute, of what their own customers’ requirements are.
“For example, a customer told us they have to be geared up for an instant recall in the event of a potential problem. They need to know what products are in which batches, and what was sent to which customer. They also need to know their shelf life, and everything else about every product. Although their products have never been recalled they had to identify where certain products were at a particular time. They told us if they’d done that manually it would have taken three days to complete. But the software gave them the information in just 90 seconds.”
Javelin allows SME organisations to successfully compete in difficult economic and market conditions, through direct productivity improvements and lower IT infrastructure costs. It supports direct interfaces to the best of breed accounts packages, protecting investment in existing systems and can easily be integrated with new peripheral systems.