100 Mbps Transceiver Engineered to Meet Stringent Requirements of Automotive IndustryIRVINE, Calif., Oct. 10, 2011 — (PRNewswire) —
- Enables lowest cost cabling solution for 100 Mbps Ethernet in-vehicle connectivity
- Engineered to meet stringent automotive EMI/EMC specifications
- Optimized for multiple in-car applications; supports variety of connectivity options for external devices
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced a new physical layer transceiver (PHY) for automotive networks. The Broadcom® BroadR-Reach® BCM89810 PHY provides the industry's lowest cost cabling solution for 100 Mbps Ethernet connectivity over unshielded single twisted pair wiring. Engineered to meet the stringent in-vehicle requirements of the automotive industry, the BCM89810 is optimized for multiple in-car applications and supports a variety of connectivity options for external devices. Visit www.broadcom.com to learn more.
Performing all of the physical layer functions for encoded Ethernet packets over unshielded copper wire, the BCM89810 provides consistent and reliable operation over single-pair and twisted-pair cabling used in vehicles today. The BCM89810 is fully compliant with RGMII and MII interface specifications, providing compatibility with other Ethernet devices within the vehicle.
In related news today, Broadcom, Freescale Semiconductor (NYSE: FSL), and OmniVision Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: OVTI), introduced a jointly-developed 360-degree surround view parking assistance system – the world's first Ethernet-based park assist solution. The collaboration, combining best-in-class semiconductor innovation and automotive electronics expertise, is an important step in the migration from a closed application to an open and scalable Ethernet-based driver assistance network in which several systems can access information easily.
BCM89810 BroadR-Reach Automotive PHY Features
- Single-chip integrated Ethernet PHY
- 100 Mbps operation over single-pair copper cable
- Advanced power savings, supports multiple low power modes
- Designed to meet stringent automotive production requirements (AEC-Q100, EMC, automotive temperature grades)
- Enables precise time synchronization of networks through support of IEEE standards 1588 v2 and 802.1AS
- Low EMI emissions – high immunity
Devices are sampling now with production volume slated for the first half of 2012.
Dr. Ali Abaye, Senior Director of Product Marketing, Broadcom Corporation
"Simplicity and field-proven open standardization have significantly lowered the cost of ownership in every application Ethernet has entered. Broadcom's new BCM89810 PHY brings these same benefits to a broad spectrum of in-vehicle applications, offering a substantial reduction in cabling costs."
Subscribe to RSS Feed:
Broadcom Infrastructure & Networking Group
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
(1) Infonetics Networking Ports Market Forecast 4Q10
(2) Infonetics Global Service Provider Survey http://www.infonetics.com/pr/2010/Packet-Optical-Transport-System-CRS-Survey-Highlights.asp
(3) Infonetics 1G/10G/40G/100G Networking Ports Biannual Market Size and Forecast–1st Edition
Manager, Public Relations
Director, Investor Relations
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking
BRCM Infrastructure & Networking
OmniVision Technologies, Inc.