Drawing and Detailing with SolidWorks 2009 is written to educate and assist students, designers, engineers, and professionals in the drawing and detailing tools of SolidWorks. Explore the learning process through a series of design situations, industry scenarios, projects, and objectives target towards the beginning to intermediate SolidWorks user.
Work through numerous activities to create multiple-view, multiple-sheet, detailed drawings, and assembly drawings. Develop Drawing templates, Sheet formats, and Custom Properties. Construct drawings that incorporate part configurations, assembly configurations, and design tables with equations. Manipulate annotations in parts, drawings, assemblies, Revision tables, Bills of Materials and more.
Apply your drawing and detailing knowledge to over thirty exercises. The exercises test your usage competency as well as explore additional topics with industry examples. Advanced exercises require the ability to create parts and assemblies. Drawing and Detailing with SolidWorks 2009 is not a reference book for all drafting and drawing techniques. The book provides examples to:
- Start a SolidWorks 2009 session and to understand the following interfaces: Menu bar toolbar, Menu bar menu, Drop-down menus, Context toolbars, Consolidated dropdown toolbars, System feedback icons, Confirmation Corner, Heads-up View toolbar, Document Properties and more.
- Apply Document Properties to reflect the ASME Y14 Engineering Drawing and related Drawing Practices.
- Import an AutoCAD file as a Sheet format. Insert SolidWorks System Properties and Custom Properties.
- Create new SolidWorks Document tabs.
- Create multi-sheet drawings from various part configurations and develop the following drawing views: Standard, Isometric, Auxiliary, Section, Broken Section, Detail, Half Section (Cut-away), Crop, Projected Back, with a Bill of Materials and a Revision Table and Revisions.
- Insert and edit: Dimensions, Feature Control Frames, Datums, Geometric Tolerancing, Surface Finishes, and Weld Symbols using DimXpert and manual techniques.
- Create, apply, and save Blocks and Parametric Notes in a drawing.
Project 7 provides a bonus section on the Certified SolidWorks Associate CSWA program with sample exam questions and initial and final SolidWorks models.
The book is designed to compliment the SolidWorks Users Guide, SolidWorks Reference Guide, Standards, Engineering Drawing/Design and Graphics Communications reference books.
The authors recognize that companies utilize additional drawing standards. The authors developed the industry scenarios by combining industry experience with their knowledge of engineers, sales, vendors and manufacturers. These professionals are directly involved with SolidWorks everyday. Their work goes far beyond a simple drawing with a few dimensions. They create detailed drawings, assembly drawings, marketing drawings and customer drawings. SolidWorks users work between drawings, parts, assemblies and many other documents to complete a project on time.
Table of Contents
Project 1 SolidWorks 2009 User Interface
Project 2 Drawing Templates and Sheet Formats
Project 3 Drawing Views
Project 4 Fundamentals of Detailing
Project 5 Assembly Drawings
Project 6 Applied Geometric Tolerancing and Other Symbols
Project 7 Introduction to the Certified SolidWorks Associated CSWA Exam
Average Customer Review:
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Great Drawing and Detailing book
I purchased the 2005 version of this book, and found it very useful and insightful. This book is every better with additional information on DimXpert, Feature Control frames, Geometric toleranceing, Surface Finishes, Welds, Blocks, tables and much more. An excellent job is done on creating custom templates and sheet formats that saves me a LOT of time. The section on creating a catalog drawing made me look real good for our marketing department. :)
The ASME Y14.1 section is great as a reference in a manufacturing environment. There is even a bonus section on the CSWA certification process with sample exams and models.