Drawing and Detailing with SolidWorks 2008 is written to educate and assist students, designers, engineers, and professionals in the drawing and detailing tools of SolidWorks. Explore the learning process through a series of design situations, industry scenarios, projects, and objectives targeted towards the beginning to intermediate SolidWorks user.
Work through numerous activities to create multiple-view, multiple-sheet, detailed drawings, and assembly drawings. Develop Drawing templates, Sheet formats, and Custom Properties. Construct drawings that incorporate part configurations, assembly configurations, and design tables. Manipulate annotations in parts, drawings, assemblies, Revision tables, and Bills of Materials.
Apply your drawing and detailing knowledge to over thirty exercises. The exercises test your usage competency as well as explore additional topics with industry examples. Advanced exercises require the ability to create parts and assemblies.
Drawing and Detailing with SolidWorks 2008 is not a reference book for all drafting and drawing techniques. The book provides examples to:
- Start a SolidWorks session and to understand the following interfaces: Menu bar toolbar, Menu bar menu, Drop-down menus, Context toolbars, Consolidated drop-down toolbars, System feedback icons, Confirmation Corner, Heads-up View toolbar, Document Properties and more.
- Apply Document Properties to reflect the ASME Y14 Engineering Drawing and related Drawing Practices.
- Import an AutoCAD file as a Sheet format. Insert SolidWorks System Properties and Custom Properties.
- Create new SolidWorks Document tabs.
- Create multi-sheet drawings from various part configurations and develop the following drawing views: Standard, Isometric, Auxiliary, Section, Broken Section, Detail, Half Section (Cut-away), Crop, Projected Back, with a Bill of Materials and a Revision Table and Revisions.
- Insert and edit: Dimensions, Feature Control Frames, Datums, Geometric Tolerancing, Surface Finishes, and Weld Symbols using DimXpert and manual techniques.
- Create, apply, and save Blocks and Parametric Notes in a drawing.
Table of Contents
Project 1 - SolidWorks 2008 Interface
Project 2 - Drawing Templates and Sheet formats
Project 3 - Drawing Views
Project 4 Fundamentals of Detailing
Project 5 Assembly Drawings
Project 6 Applied Geometric Tolerancing and Other Symbols